• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Substitute for Goex Powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The GOEX substitute is Pinnacle. Americam Pioneer Powder is made in FL by American Pioneer Powder Inc.

Gary -

If you are in Michigan there's a thread in this subforum that lists several stores in Michigan that carry Goex: Buying Powder in Mich.

paulvallandigham said:
Excuse me? I do not consider Slovenia, formerly part of Czechoslovakia, to be " close to Italy". When the USSR fell apart in 1992, one of the results was a division of the former state of Czechoslovakia, into two states, the Czech Republic, and the Republic of Slovenia. Hungary, Austria and Germany stand between Italy and these countries. Then there is the Adriatic Sea, and the countries that used to be Yugoslavia on the Northern side of that sea that also separate Italy from Slovenia.

Yes, Slovenia is the location where this powder is made, and its similar in composition to WANO or even the Swiss powder, in that the company also gets its charcoal from the same source that Swiss powder uses. I suspect that KIK is trying to get a foothold in the US market- not for the BP shooter market, but for the Explosives market, trying to take it away from GOEX.

I buy Goex because I want to keep a source of Black Powder here in the USA. If all the powder has to be imported, the President, as the head of the Executive Branch, and leader with sole authority to set foreign policy, He can terminate the importation of powder for any reason, or NO REASON. That is how the first Pres. Bush was able to ban the importation of "assault rifles".

Sorry, no. Slovenia is part of former Yugoslavia and borders with Italy.

Slovakia is part of former Czechoslovakia, and is the country you are meaning.

Tb

Garryowen said:
O.K. then what other brand works as well as Goex powder. To be honest when I started there were only two brands Goex and pyrodex. I've always used Goex. Just couldn't bring myself to use pyrodex.

I didn't know you could order it and have it delivered to your door though.

Some of the other brands I've never even heard of before.

Garryowen

Most of the other brands of real black powder work as well as Goex, and some, like Swiss, work better for many of us. KIK is gaining a big following. It's a little cheaper than Goex and a lot of folks say it burns a bit cleaner. I haven't tried it yet.

None of the substitute powders work as well as well as real black powder though. I've used Pyrodex in a pinch, but only if I have no other choice. It just doesn't work as well.

Garryowen said:
O.K. then what other brand works as well as Goex powder. To be honest when I started there were only two brands Goex and pyrodex. I've always used Goex. Just couldn't bring myself to use pyrodex.

Some of the other brands I've never even heard of before.Garryowen
If you are using Goex,why are you wanting to
use something else. Are you having a problem
shooting Goex??
Check www.grafs.com. Their house powder is real
close to GOEX. I personally use Goex because
I can get it,and it works for me.
snake-eyes :hmm:

Last edited by a moderator:
Garryowen said:

Some of the other brands I've never even heard of before.

Garryowen

I don't use them but Shutzen and Grafs seem to shoot about the same as GOEX. I have friends who swear by both. Swiss is excellent powder but a little pricey for most of us. I like KIK. I was going to buy another 25 lbs of it last year but was able to pick up 25 lbs. of GOEX bulk for $9.00 a pound so got it instead.

I've had good luck with Pyrodex 'P' grade in my C&B revolvers. actually tighter groups than the Grafs or Goex 3F I also use and I suspect higher velocity - this is when shooting Lee mold conicals - why this is I have no idea.
in my .50's however the 'real deal' is best - noticeably.
I wish DuPont was still available the one can I had given to me was good stuff.
I haven't tryed KIK but plan to in future, but I bought from Grafs last fall enough to last me years no more chance to go shooting than I get. generally anymore this is my thrice yearly camp-outs at the deer lease I share to prepare for the hunt season and I take my C&B revolvers to shoot.
I have couple pounds of Pyro - it has to be kept out of sunlight and sealed tightly or it will clump. I doubt I'll buy anymore of it.

Latest posts

Back