• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Stupid, stupid, stupid

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think i will mount these and put them on my shooting bench.
probably twice this amount blown out with air or pumped out with grease. this is the last 30 years collection.
20230128_112432.jpg

I shot my first flintlock yesterday. I was so excited after I loaded the rifle and shot it successfully. I was thrilled, thinking that I’m going to love this new hobby. I quickly lubed up another spit patch and started the ball down the barrel when I realized “Dang-it” I forgot the powder. My first dry ball. I thought my day might be over until I realized I had my ball puller with me. I had never used one so I wasn’t sure how it would work. The ball came right out after screwing the ball puller in as much as I could. I thought to myself “I’m an official flint locker now”.

Over all, the day of shooting was good. My accuracy sucks but I think it’s because my vent hole is to small and it ignited slow with a lot of failure to fires on first pull but I was most proud of overcoming my first dry ball.

I shot my first flintlock yesterday. I was so excited after I loaded the rifle and shot it successfully. I was thrilled, thinking that I’m going to love this new hobby. I quickly lubed up another spit patch and started the ball down the barrel when I realized “Dang-it” I forgot the powder. My first dry ball. I thought my day might be over until I realized I had my ball puller with me. I had never used one so I wasn’t sure how it would work. The ball came right out after screwing the ball puller in as much as I could. I thought to myself “I’m an official flint locker now”.

Over all, the day of shooting was good. My accuracy sucks but I think it’s because my vent hole is to small and it ignited slow with a lot of failure to fires on first pull but I was most proud of overcoming my first dry ball.
What are you shooting for powder?

Depends. If you have the chambered breech described by @bubba.50, there's plenty of room for powder. Even with the traditional breech situation described by @necchi, there is room for some powder. Maybe not enough to shoot the ball out, it will be moved. Then add more powder, seat the ball. It only takes about 5 grains (volume) to have enough force to kick the ball out.

Pay attention, the ball may be blown out with little or no sound. I am personally aware of an attempt to remove a ball after about 4 attempts. The ramrod still seemed to contact an obstacle at the breech. Apparently the ball was gone after the first shot and the obstacle was the breech.
Which is why we mark the ramrod. One mark when it’s bottomed out in the empty rifle, another when the rifle is loaded and the ball is seated against the powder.
Removes all doubt.

Latest posts

Back