• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Stupid, stupid, stupid

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two kinds of muzzleloader shooters those who have loaded dry balls and those who haven't yet. Did it myself just a couple weeks ago shooting by myself.

I’ve been shooting muzzleloaders for several years and have dry balled three times. Each time was while engaged In conversation.

Nowadays, I don’t load while talking or talk while loading.

I have a mantra I repeat to myself while loading, "Powder-Patch-Ball", "Powder-Patch-Ball", "Powder-Patch-Ball". I just keep saying that till loaded, it has worked so far.
If you shoot muzzle loaders, it happens, that's why they make extraction tools and why they sell so well.

Good shooting.

I've mentioned my visual approach to loading at the bench. I'll talk about it again. The visual approach minimizes (but does not necessarily eliminate) the possibility of dry balling. In preparation for loading, I measure the desired volume of powder and with a funnel in the barrel, I pour the powder. The funnel remains in the barrel util I have a moistened patch and ball ready to load. The presence of the funnel is the indication that powder has been poured. Loading proceeds. Now the visual indication is that the rifle is loaded is that there is no funnel in the muzzle. Usually I go to the firing line after loading so no visual indication is needed. time to finish priming the pan or capping the nipple and firing.

If I pick up a ball and patch and observe that there is no funnel in the barrel, I need to verily if there is powder loaded. Most likely have to start the entire process over again.

I'm the Range officer for our club once A month BP shoot. I can't tell you how many times I've bellowed " don't talk while you are loading". Yes I have dry balled a few times, and on one memorable occasion I double loaded powder. Oh lordy it hurt when I pulled that trigger.

Finally got a chance to try the new Pedersoli GPR flintlock yesterday. Just to start, I loaded 50 grns Swiss under .010 patch and .490 ball. 25 yards. Two shots from the bench dead center. "Oh boy, no sight adjustment." Moved target to fifty. Range worker came by and during chat I loaded same patch and ball over what I thought was 60 grains powder.
" Pssst!" No powder, stuck ball. I haven't done that stupid thing for many years. No ball puller with me. Another stupid thing.
Anyway, I love this gun. Heavy like a plains rifle ought to be, big barrel, great triggers, nice wood, fast lock, sights I can see. I've had two Investarms GPRs but this one is much, much better. Now, back to the range with determination to PUT THE POWDER IN FIRST.
Normal..., Normal..., Normal...,

Old Saying:
There are two types of shooters when it comes to muzzleloaders. Those that have "dry ball' loaded..., and those that one day will.

LD

Another reason I have my range rod marked and color coded for the 4 different lengths of barrels on my rifles is so I can always check whether the gun is loaded or not. I'm almost always by myself at the range but I'm old and my mind wanders. If I go to shoot and experience a misfire I'll try 3 times before I give up and go to the bench to fix whatever is wrong. Of course sometimes the gun fires on the second or third try, but I'll still knap, reposition or replace the flint after a misfire.

So I fiddle around with the flint and when I think I'm ready to shoot again sometimes I can't remember if I'd gotten the shot off or not before I went to the bench. All I have to do is insert the range rod and I have the answer as to whether it's already loaded or not.

Always seat the ball back to the breach before firing, and point the muzzle down range as the ball can and will come out with authority!

I can't say what shooting a double charge feels like since I have never done that (yet), but I have once double balled a single charge. My "friends" both walked well away from me as I got ready to shoot the double balls out...Didn't hurt the rifle a bit but I did have a nice bruise for a couple days.

I watched a friend shooting a new flintlock rifle; his first. He would not stop talking.

I admonished him with, "Less talk. More shooting. You're going to screw it up."

He wouldn't listen. Sure enough, I watched him forget to load the powder.

It was really fun watching him refill the pan three times before he looked at me and asked what was wrong.

I told him he forgot to load the powder. He didn't believe me as he couldn't believe he made a mistake.

I let him refill the pan a couple more times till I asked if he was ready to listen to me.

After he was humbled, I showed him how to trickle powder through the flash hole and discharge the ball.

Now I'm not saying that I have ever forgot the powder:rolleyes:

That really is the key. Every mistake I’ve ever made at the range w/ muzzleloaders had a chat/ distraction attached to it. Now when I stop to socialize even for a second I restart by first emptying the rifle of powder, if there’s powder to dump. Then I recharge the rifle w/ powder and only then send a ball down the barrel. I don’t load a ball w/o first dumping out a powder charge if I’ve been chatting. This system works for me and keeps the loading ritual straight.
At the risk of being rude to the convo initiator, I’d ask him to “hold that thought”, finish my reloading, then engage him in conversation.

Normal..., Normal..., Normal...,

Old Saying:
There are two types of shooters when it comes to muzzleloaders. Those that have "dry ball' loaded..., and those that one day will.

LD

How about, "when loading, those that 'shoot the breeze'......won't" :-D

From experience I can say that loading powder grain by grain with a toothpick into a touch-hole is like doing neurosurgury on gnats.

- Mr blabbermouth

Finally got a chance to try the new Pedersoli GPR flintlock yesterday. Just to start, I loaded 50 grns Swiss under .010 patch and .490 ball. 25 yards. Two shots from the bench dead center. "Oh boy, no sight adjustment." Moved target to fifty. Range worker came by and during chat I loaded same patch and ball over what I thought was 60 grains powder.
" Pssst!" No powder, stuck ball. I haven't done that stupid thing for many years. No ball puller with me. Another stupid thing.
Anyway, I love this gun. Heavy like a plains rifle ought to be, big barrel, great triggers, nice wood, fast lock, sights I can see. I've had two Investarms GPRs but this one is much, much better. Now, back to the range with determination to PUT THE POWDER IN FIRST.
Its not if its when itll happen !! Happens to the best of us 8)

Two kinds of muzzleloader shooters those who have loaded dry balls and those who haven't yet. Did it myself just a couple weeks ago shooting by myself.
Not witnessed it did not happen, eh?

Mine all had them who had to whoop it up about it! :ghostly: :doh:

Back in the 90's every shoot I went to I made sure my c02 was in the range box along with a large supply of cartridges. At the local shoots all knew I could get a ball out.

The Maine rep for the NMLRA territorials made up a c02 blower with a 15 pound fire extinguisher as the power behind it. David said hows that for a blower?.

Last edited:
Back