• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Stupid, stupid, stupid

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got a chance to try the new Pedersoli GPR flintlock yesterday. Just to start, I loaded 50 grns Swiss under .010 patch and .490 ball. 25 yards. Two shots from the bench dead center. "Oh boy, no sight adjustment." Moved target to fifty. Range worker came by and during chat I loaded same patch and ball over what I thought was 60 grains powder.
" Pssst!" No powder, stuck ball. I haven't done that stupid thing for many years. No ball puller with me. Another stupid thing.
Anyway, I love this gun. Heavy like a plains rifle ought to be, big barrel, great triggers, nice wood, fast lock, sights I can see. I've had two Investarms GPRs but this one is much, much better. Now, back to the range with determination to PUT THE POWDER IN FIRST.
No bigee. Everyone here has dry balled. So take a ball puller, but again. It's all good and part of the sport.

I I should add, my dad finished his navy arms buffalo hunter kit back in the day.. 58 call, 1⅛ across the flats... Made for big loads. I should mention dad was all about full loads and on this occasion, the first shot, he loads it up and with a big mini ball... Talking to somone too... Touches it off. He said it really kicked. "why are there 2 holes in the target?" 😮 yep.

Last edited:
Finally got a chance to try the new Pedersoli GPR flintlock yesterday. Just to start, I loaded 50 grns Swiss under .010 patch and .490 ball. 25 yards. Two shots from the bench dead center. "Oh boy, no sight adjustment." Moved target to fifty. Range worker came by and during chat I loaded same patch and ball over what I thought was 60 grains powder.
" Pssst!" No powder, stuck ball. I haven't done that stupid thing for many years. No ball puller with me. Another stupid thing.
Anyway, I love this gun. Heavy like a plains rifle ought to be, big barrel, great triggers, nice wood, fast lock, sights I can see. I've had two Investarms GPRs but this one is much, much better. Now, back to the range with determination to PUT THE POWDER IN FIRST.

Powder, patch, ball, push. PPBP.

Interesting. I have the same problem with my half stock. It absolutely refuses to fire when I economize and load only the prb. Powder is costly and shouldn't be needed for EVERY shot! Thankfully I've never dryballed. :doh:

In the airline industry they call it a "sterile cockpit".
When loading a muzzle loader, do that and that only.
Don't talk to anyone during the procedure, at all, ever.

I have the same rifle, new to me last spring.....54 cal. Pedersoli/Lyman GPR flinter. She is a shooter, but I am glad I dont lug it all day! First time out with mine, I also dry/balled it. I am able to trickle ...slowly, true...4f into the flash hole, poking in with the touch hole pin. Be sure to poke in more than what you think you need, or you may just poop it further down the barrel, and need to start over.
I have to admit...I wish it was lighter, perhaps splitting the difference with the previous Lyman GPR incarnation which I also have.
I am planning to use the flinter this fall for our ML season, and hopefully get out today but it looks to be rainy.

Those Lyman GPR’s are way too heavy for my liking.

My dad started me on muzzleloaders a long time ago. I never dry balled. Not even once. Until about two weeks ago.

I was teaching my 10 year old about loading muzzleoaders. About the time I pushed the short starter down, I realized we had skipped the powder.

Luckily, I had a ball puller with me. It was a very easy pull of about 6 inches.

I have a new Pedersoli Great Plains percussion rifle in a 45 caliber. I have shot it on 3 occasions. I am still getting it sighted-in and broken-in.

I thought I had a misfire with a tc pistol, I e cap went off and a tiny puff of smoke leaking from muzzle. So I figured maybe damp powder? Removed nipple and hand stuff fff down channel reinstall and tried a cap, almost same thing again. I repeated this one more time before I checked barrel and realized it was free and empty. After reminiscing on what happened it dawned on me that when I loaded it up the first time I dumped powder than a felt wad and A BALL WITH OUT A PATCH, so ball must have just rolled out of barrel onto the ground. This was a Saturday afternoon and a friend was over and had expressed interest in muzzleloaders I was going to show him the steps. Fortunately they left after the first misfire and didn't witness my continued Elmer Fud adventure. PS FIRST fire caps before you load up before heading out to hunt. Made that mistake as well..

Back