• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Stupid, stupid, stupid

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was told early on that there ar two kinds of muzzle loaders, those who have dry-balled and those who will.
Only time(s) I have done it I was talking and not thinking of the task at hand. Kind of like driving and talking on a cell phone. I hav demoed the powder-trickle method of ball removal to a few newbies without really intending to.

Welcome to the Dry Ball Club, always accepting new members :doh:
I call my wife the Dryball Queen. Every match or range session she manages to do it at least once and I heckle her incessantly. Well, at the last match I ended up doing it TWICE! Lucky for me she wasn't there that day so she didn't find out Ha!

I have the same rifle, new to me last spring.....54 cal. Pedersoli/Lyman GPR flinter. She is a shooter, but I am glad I dont lug it all day! First time out with mine, I also dry/balled it. I am able to trickle ...slowly, true...4f into the flash hole, poking in with the touch hole pin. Be sure to poke in more than what you think you need, or you may just poop it further down the barrel, and need to start over.
I have to admit...I wish it was lighter, perhaps splitting the difference with the previous Lyman GPR incarnation which I also have.
I am planning to use the flinter this fall for our ML season, and hopefully get out today but it looks to be rainy.

Yeah, chatting and loading muzzleloaders can be a bad mix.
That really is the key. Every mistake I’ve ever made at the range w/ muzzleloaders had a chat/ distraction attached to it. Now when I stop to socialize even for a second I restart by first emptying the rifle of powder, if there’s powder to dump. Then I recharge the rifle w/ powder and only then send a ball down the barrel. I don’t load a ball w/o first dumping out a powder charge if I’ve been chatting. This system works for me and keeps the loading ritual straight.

about 3 years ago i bought a new custom 40cal. SMR, i have a range at my house. my buddy was over and i said let's give it a shot. i had and old measure in my handloading loading / gunsmith room out back. i set the scale and i put in 40gr. and dumped it down the barrel. put it on the bench, filled the pan, and fired, pan flash no boom. i did it 3 more times, same thing, pan flash no boom! i was scratching my head, i ask my friend, you saw me pour in the powder right? he said sure. i opened the measure and there was the 40gr. charge! i looked in the end of the nozzle and a dirt Dober wasp had the hole clogged with dirt!

I had walked up as they were ready to fire the squib load off. I heard the slight pop and saw the ball skip down range. There was no smoke from the tiny load coming from the muzzle. I guess that the smoke was what everyone else was looking for. They ran the rod down the bore and again no smoke from the nipple and the rod clinked. They had not marked the rod to see if the ball had moved. They were surprised that the ball had not moved away from the breech. So, it was remove the nipple, and refire. I mentioned that the ball was already gone, but they tried several more times.

Back