• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Stupid, stupid, stupid

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike in FL

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Finally got a chance to try the new Pedersoli GPR flintlock yesterday. Just to start, I loaded 50 grns Swiss under .010 patch and .490 ball. 25 yards. Two shots from the bench dead center. "Oh boy, no sight adjustment." Moved target to fifty. Range worker came by and during chat I loaded same patch and ball over what I thought was 60 grains powder.
" Pssst!" No powder, stuck ball. I haven't done that stupid thing for many years. No ball puller with me. Another stupid thing.
Anyway, I love this gun. Heavy like a plains rifle ought to be, big barrel, great triggers, nice wood, fast lock, sights I can see. I've had two Investarms GPRs but this one is much, much better. Now, back to the range with determination to PUT THE POWDER IN FIRST.

Finally got a chance to try the new Pedersoli GPR flintlock yesterday. Just to start, I loaded 50 grns Swiss under .010 patch and .490 ball. 25 yards. Two shots from the bench dead center. "Oh boy, no sight adjustment." Moved target to fifty. Range worker came by and during chat I loaded same patch and ball over what I thought was 60 grains powder.
" Pssst!" No powder, stuck ball. I haven't done that stupid thing for many years. No ball puller with me. Another stupid thing.
Anyway, I love this gun. Heavy like a plains rifle ought to be, big barrel, great triggers, nice wood, fast lock, sights I can see. I've had two Investarms GPRs but this one is much, much better. Now, back to the range with determination to PUT THE POWDER IN FIRST.
Powder in first, yea that helps. Oh and also bringing all the accessories needed to make it go boom and fix it when it goes psst. Been there, done that.

Never talk to anyone when loading put the gun in the rest it happens all the time a dry ball is not has bad has a double charge of powder
Feltwad

You can almost always trickle enough fine priming powder in through the vent to shoot the ball out. If the first try only pushes the ball part way up the barrel trickle in double the amount, then SEAT THE BALL ALL THE WAY DOWN AGAINST THE POWDER before firing again.
I have never had the above method fail for me.

Re. trickling 4F in touchhole, isn't the ball in the way? I mean if you could look thru the hole, wouldn't you see the ball? If so, how does the powder get behind it?

Re. trickling 4F in touchhole, isn't the ball in the way? I mean if you could look thru the hole, wouldn't you see the ball? If so, how does the powder get behind it?
The ball is round, the breech is square,, so there is always enough space to hold a bit of powder,
,it doesn't take much at all, ;)

I'm guessing that the Italian flinchlock breechplugs have the same smaller diameter recess(what TC refers to as a 'combustion chamber') as the TC's they're cloned from. Should be plenty of room for a few grains of powder.

did the very same thing at the range thursday

Depends. If you have the chambered breech described by @bubba.50, there's plenty of room for powder. Even with the traditional breech situation described by @necchi, there is room for some powder. Maybe not enough to shoot the ball out, it will be moved. Then add more powder, seat the ball. It only takes about 5 grains (volume) to have enough force to kick the ball out.

Pay attention, the ball may be blown out with little or no sound. I am personally aware of an attempt to remove a ball after about 4 attempts. The ramrod still seemed to contact an obstacle at the breech. Apparently the ball was gone after the first shot and the obstacle was the breech.

Back