• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stupid stuck nipple

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well boys we have success!!!!

After buggering the nipple and round off the edges making it impossible to get a good grip.

I pulled out the dremel and squared off the edges of the nipple and with a 5.5m wrench and enough pb blaster and heat to warm a small community... she broke free and was tight the whole way out.

Back in the days when I got this rifle Im 100% certain it was Pyrodex we used and I can tell it wasnt cleaned properly. The inside of the drum is nice and orange and loaded with crud.

Now the real fun begins!!!

Appreciate every one of yalls help!!
Good luck sir !!

Poorly fitted & constructed nipple wrenches are root of many nipple removal issues.
As stated by FistDfly you can't go wrong with a set of Ted Cash nipple wrenches.
TIP; To remove odd sized nipples on some of my original firearms I've slotted the bottoms of metric or inch size sockets with a Dremel tool or grinder to fit flat surfaces on the nipple.
Note; In my 60+ years of gunsmithing I still haven't found a more effective method to loosen stuck breeches, nipples or lock screws than an overnight soak in 50/50 mixture of transmission fluid & acetone.
relic shooter

Poorly fitted & constructed nipple wrenches are root of many nipple removal issues.
As stated by FistDfly you can't go wrong with a set of Ted Cash nipple wrenches.
TIP; To remove odd sized nipples on some of my original firearms I've slotted the bottoms of metric or inch size sockets with a Dremel tool or grinder to fit flat surfaces on the nipple.
Note; In my 60+ years of gunsmithing I still haven't found a more effective method to loosen stuck breeches, nipples or lock screws than an overnight soak in 50/50 mixture of transmission fluid & acetone.
relic shooter
1/2 of the ed's red mixture.....equal parts Dexron III, acetone, mineral oil, kerosene.

Works like a champ cleaning and lossening stuck parts, cheap and easy to make.

While helping a buddy remove rusted in bolts on an old trash hauling truck I learned about a spray that freezes what you spray it on. Between that and heat, in cycles, there was nothing we couldn't unstick. CRC calls it "Freeze Off".

Seems cold/freezing would be better on guns than using heat.

Also seems cold would not muckup the bluing/finish either.

Know a gunsmith who puts rifles he beds in the freezer if he can not separate things.

i have found the recessed nipple wrenches to be the strongest... there is some real junk out there. i have broken some brand new ones removing an unstuck nipple. pot metal manure.

I treat the clean out screw as i do the nipples. they get cleaned and anti seize every time.
No, treat the "clean out" screws as I do, act as if it doesn't exist. Find something else to do if you get the urge to remove it.

Also, @bassncrap, treat that new nipple with care. It only needs to be tightened to snug. Over tightening to seal the threads is not required. It has a hole in it. It can't seal anything.
Do use a high temperature never seizing grease so the nipple will be easy to remove in the future.

NO remove and clean each time so you will have easy access to add powder when you dryball, a straight thru dribble, no nipple related angles. JUST CLEAN IT

Seems cold/freezing would be better on guns than using heat.

Also seems cold would not muckup the bluing/finish either.

Know a gunsmith who puts rifles he beds in the freezer if he can not separate things.
Be careful with cold .When I first started muzzle loading I froze a couple of leaf springs with spray on break cleaner and both snapped clean in half when worked .

While helping a buddy remove rusted in bolts on an old trash hauling truck I learned about a spray that freezes what you spray it on. Between that and heat, in cycles, there was nothing we couldn't unstick. CRC calls it "Freeze Off".
Canned air will do the same, just spray it with the can turned upside down.

Back