• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Stupid Rant….

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my Pedersoli GPR from Midsouth. Perfect flinter except flash hole liner had a hole too small. Drilled it out. Very beautifully finished. Shaped just like a Lyman but much improved, a lot closer to a real Hawken. One inch across the flats, great period sights I can see. One downer is the weight, like an original.
You know that little or orange dot in the center of a shoot n see target? With 60 grains of 3F, from the bench, my PRBs stay in a group that big at 50 yards. That sounds like a lie, but it ain't. That group widens with a heavier charge 'cause barrel is 1:48, like originals. I'd like to have one in .54, but I paid $900 for it which I think is a bit much for a production gun.

Oh, meant to say my hunting gun prior, was a Chambers early Lancaster, 44" swamped, assembled by professional builder, but there is something about the GPR that makes 'em my favorite. I've had 3, but just this one flintlock.

I am sorry to hear of your problems with those rifles. There seems to be a shameless disregard for quality in many areas of production.

I have bought (I think) three guns from sellers on this forum over the past couple of years. All were sellers who move a lot of guns, and not “single item” sellers, but the firearms have been as described. I would respectfully suggest that you be patient and watch the classifieds on this forum. Ask the seller for references if in doubt, and contact previous buyers. You may be able to pick up a used rifle that’s already “broke in” for much less than the price of a new one.

I’ve seen some deals here that made me wish I had more storage space and a bigger gun budget.

Good luck to you, and thanks for reporting this quality-control issue.

Notchy Bob
I agree Notchy, and what is really sad is that I bought a Traditions 'Hawken' for $450 at my local sporting goods store last fall and it was 'perfect' for what it is. Pretty good blueing, fit and finish, it functions flawlessly and is very accurate w the 3 different bullets I've tried. Real nice double triggers too. I know that mine is not a fluke because they have had at least 2 more in stock since and they were as nice as mine. I held them. So, for what I think is almost double the price, Lyman [ and I am hearing Pedersoli as well] cannot get it together. Hard for me to believe that with the c&c machining available these days that an American company can't be formed to make a nice, competitive ML rifle. Sad. SW

I was lucky with mine (investarm) I ordered it via a gunshop, and the owner and I assembled the stock and barrel together, analysing it for flaws, before he would take my money. I wonder if he did this because he had similar problems? In any case, mine is fine and enjoyable to shoot.

Last edited:
I agree Notchy, and what is really sad is that I bought a Traditions 'Hawken' for $450 at my local sporting goods store last fall
I note with envy that American prices for these guns are significantly lower than European ones. I live literally a day's drive from the Pietta factory, for example, yet see European prices at least 25pc more than Americn ones (allowing for exchange rate). Over here one would not get a new Hawken for less than 650 Euros.

Back