Stuck patch box lid

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience removing a stuck sliding wooden patch box lid?

I have a Pedersoli Jaeger that a PO built out of a kit from Dixie, and it seems that they might not have fit the dovetail and drove it into place. I see no evidence of it being glued in.

Having slung wrenches for years, the image I have in my head for removal consists of a lag bolt in a piloted hole and some sort of slide hammer. Is this overkill? 😂

I have already placed an order with Pedersoli for a new one, as this one is probably going to be destroyed or disfigured in the process of removal.

Any ideas? I’m not much of a woodworker….yet… 5A43F4D6-EAC7-47CF-A9AA-C51672B610C4.jpeg

dave_person

54 Cal.
Reaction score
First, take the butt plate off! That may reduce friction enough to remove the lid. It it still does not move, take a rectangular block of wood placed on edge against the front of the lid and gently tap the block of wood with a hammer to remove the lid. There should be no need to damage the lid. As the previous poster wrote, a dry room will probably help.

dave

Reaction score
Bring it into an air condtioned area with very low humidity first(24-48hrs), wood swelling is one of the reasons they swiched to brass patch boxes

Also check and see if the latch is working /releasing
It has been in low humidity climate control for a couple of weeks now.
First, take the butt plate off! That may reduce friction enough to remove the lid. It it still does not move, take a rectangular block of wood placed on edge against the front of the lid and gently tap the block of wood with a hammer to remove the lid. There should be no need to damage the lid. As the previous poster wrote, a dry room will probably help.

dave
Yes sir the buttpate was off when I tried to remove it. It’s still stuck solid. I will try the block of wood, but there isn’t much contact area to be able to line up a hit squarely.

Reaction score
Best bet is to leave it alone. There is nothing under the lid but an empty hole. Put your supplies in a pouch and let it ride.
I’d like to imagine a rolled up Ben Franklin.

I’m a tinkerer. If it’s there I want it to work. 😂 I’m sure I’m not the only one out there like it.

When the new sliding lid arrives, I well pursue it further.

Reaction score
Try a blow dryer set on medium heat the cover and surrounding area not so much as to ruien the finish the heat may cause the wood to shrink or loosen/soften what is causing the sticking then use a piece of wood low in the pocket not up top (causing damage) tap with a hammer
Good idea. I'll give it a try. I've got a heat gun from the ol r/c plane days, I'll be easy with it and see where it goes...will report back...

Reaction score
I had one stuck on my rifle, After cleaning I rubbed it down with some Linseed oil, I didn't use the rifle for about a month and when I tried to open the sliding wood it was frozen in place.

After trying a number of soft ways, I got a length of artificial sinew and like a metal folding saw dragged it around the edges. , It broke through the linseed and I was able to open the patch box. Needless to say I don't close it with out wiping down the oil

Reaction score
The heat gun was a no go. Still hasn’t budged a mm. I will try the dental floss tonight, as I don’t have any type of sinew. That’s a great idea I would have never thought about using the sinew like that.