• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stuck Jag....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you have personally used the grease gun and delt with the unbelievable mess?
Never used the grease gun method personally to remove an object from a barrel…BUT..I’ve greased my share of bearings, ball joints, splines etc…if grease is present things are gonna get greasy…greasy things are messy. A .45 cal column of grease 32 inches long outside of a grease tube doesn’t sound like something I’d wanna deal with in clothes I plan to wear in the house or church ever again.

I’m probably just a spastic clumsy cluts…but if I even glance at my grease gun I have grease on my face or shirt .

Last edited:
I don't know about a flint lock but a percusion M.L. is very easy and fast to get something stuck out of the bore by shooting it out. No mess , no problem.

After some many years of muzzleloading one learns to move that wet cleaning patch down the barrel in short in and out strokes. Once that patch is in the powder burning area of the barrel, we all run the risk of getting it stuck there…a WET patch for swabbing outa fouled barrel. You can always dry it out…Ive had the OP’s delema twice….some powder under the nipple and shoot it out…the grease gun works but what a mess.
I have found that putting my air compressor on 120 lbs works pretty well too.

Never used the grease gun method personally to remove an object from a barrel…BUT..I’ve greased my share of bearings, ball joints, splines etc…if grease is present things are gonna get greasy…greasy things are messy. A .45 cal column of grease 32 inches long outside of a grease tube doesn’t sound like something I’d wanna deal with in clothes I plan to wear in the house or church ever again.

I’m probably just a spastic clumsy cluts…but if I even glance at my grease gun I have grease on my face or shirt .
Maybe you should watch the video that @Idaho Ron provided in the past under a couple topics now. And we have a more recent report as well....
You can retract your "unbelievable mess," statement after that 😉 No one will think lesser of you for it.

There are many ways to get an object that is stuck in the bore of a rifle out. The major problem is when you get something stuck while at the range or hunting you rarely have anything but powder and ball with you? It would be wise to know different ways to get it unstuck or your day is over until you get home to fix the problem?

For years i have removed stuff stuck in muzzleloader barrels in the fenced back yard by shooting the obstruction out. The neighbors are accustomed to bangs emanating from our place.
You bring up a good point about this whole group who's only answer is "just shoot it out," but have no further answers when that fails.

For many people the "just shoot it out," answer is only viable at the range, or maybe deep in the woods while hunting. If it fails there,,,, that option ceases to exist. For many in today's world,,, shooting it out at home is not an option.

For an apartment dweller (and they have my sympathy, I couldn't live like that) using an air compressor probably isn't even an option.

Just a note for anybody using the grease gun method. Make sure the zerk fitting threads are the same as your nipple. If not I'd just solder a zerk fitting to an old nipple but the torch is like my right hand for me.

Maybe you should watch the video that @Idaho Ron provided in the past under a couple topics now. And we have a more recent report as well....
You can retract your "unbelievable mess," statement after that 😉 No one will think lesser of you for it.
Uh…Okay….but go back and reread…I never said “unbelievable mess.“
Idaho Ron put those words together…I said “…but what a mess”.
I retract my “mess” statement cuz apparently there’s folks that can manipulate grease much better than I can.
After a couple thousand shots through a dozen muzzleloaders I’ve owned/built, I have finally learned the correct methods to avoid dry balling and jag sticking…and I’ve learned most of the solutions should it ever happen again.

Hoppes No 9 belongs no where near black powder. You caused you own problem.
Compressed air fixes everything in a barrel.
Be advised it breaks not only flower pots, but dents tool boxes also.
My neighbor broke his off inside.
and makes a fine dent in the fender of the wife's little sedan/crossover/suv whatever.

I don't know about a flint lock but a percusion M.L. is very easy and fast to get something stuck out of the bore by shooting it out. No mess , no problem.
Works fine in Flintlock, just takes longer to feed 4F in the vent (3F even longer) but works fine.

Hopps #9: never had any issues but found stuff I like better.

My views: I don't use brushes (but that's not the issue here), I have taken to using a 1 Size Smaller Jag with Cotton Flannel to clean, if I need a 'brush' I use a Worm with TOW (never had tow 'stuck' in a barrel but have had it fall off in the barrel - easy to fish out).
For wiping at the range (for those of us who do); I use my 1 Size Smaller Jag with thin patches cut from T-Shirts.

Oh, and I prefer to use a brass rod for all, broke enough wood rods already.

Btw; I am one of those 'apartment deellers' - have had to find my own ways....but BLM land is just 15 minutes away.

Works fine in Flintlock, just takes longer to feed 4F in the vent (3F even longer) but works fine.

Hopps #9: never had any issues but found stuff I like better.

My views: I don't use brushes (but that's not the issue here), I have taken to using a 1 Size Smaller Jag with Cotton Flannel to clean, if I need a 'brush' I use a Worm with TOW (never had tow 'stuck' in a barrel but have had it fall off in the barrel - easy to fish out).
For wiping at the range (for those of us who do); I use my 1 Size Smaller Jag with thin patches cut from T-Shirts.

Oh, and I prefer to use a brass rod for all, broke enough wood rods already.

Btw; I am one of those 'apartment deellers' - have had to find my own ways....but BLM land is just 15 minutes away.
You and I are on the same page except I don't use Tow and I don't live in an apartment. I use old T-shirts for patches with my cleaning jag. To keep it from getting stuck in my barrel I push it down about 10" pull it back a couple of inches I do this every 10 or so inches. It released the crud that causes the problem and have never had one get stuck since.

I got my rod stuck even after reading a couple pages of this thread and almost fainted. I used great caution to not break anything and this thread and previous threads on this subject probably saved me some headaches.

That moment of realization hits with an adrenalin rush somewhat. This forum has educated me to the point of caution before every embarrassing task.
I have one Hawken I purchased recently and one on the way. Yeah, after reading everything on this forum on my Hawkens I have prepared myself for every disaster and have become an "expert" without firing them yet. Lol! I'm sure I'll be served up a surprise....probably first time out!

cuz apparently there’s folks that can manipulate grease much better than I can
😆😆😆😆
Sounds like we are in the same boat.
I can't do much of anything without making a mess. I'm sure if I used the grease method, I would not accomplish it as neatly as Idaho Ron did.... But I generally just assume most other people are capable of doing these things in a neater fashion than I can.

Sorry about the misquote.

Back