• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Stuck Jag....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So trying to clean the bore of my Fox River Fifty....

I ran a wired bore brush with Hoppe 9 down the bore a few times and decided to run a patch to see what crud was in there.

.50cal Jag on ramrod with thundercloud cleaning patch.... made it to the bottom and thats it... will not come back up.......

Reckon I should have ran that brush bout 10000 more times before running a patch or use a smaller Jag...

Now the ramrod broke roughly a inch out of the barrel.... Im done for the day....

Attachments

• 20221204_170706.jpg
    20221204_170706.jpg
    665.3 KB · Views: 0
Sounds like the rod is below the muzzle. IF you have a CO2 discharger that will work. IF not, remove the nipple or vent, dry the breech out with carb cleaner or alcohol, blow dry with compressed air. Put some BP behind the stuck jag-patch-rod. Replace the nipple, and shoot it out.

So trying to clean the bore of my Fox River Fifty....

I ran a wired bore brush with Hoppe 9 down the bore a few times and decided to run a patch to see what crud was in there.

.50cal Jag on ramrod with thundercloud cleaning patch.... made it to the bottom and thats it... will not come back up.......

Reckon I should have ran that brush bout 10000 more times before running a patch or use a smaller Jag...
Do your self a favor. Use a grease gun.

I had a cleaning jag stuck the other day and all I did was pour some lube down barrel, wait a little, then clamped visegrip on rod and took little taps with hammer on grips and it came right out.

Many of you seem to have missed the picture of the remants of the rod sticking out of the barrel. Looks like it broke off at the end. Some water to soak up the patch and get a good grip with a vice, vice grips, etc.. and it should come out.
Now lets address the cleaning regimen. Don't clean like a modern gun. Warm soapy water, use of a brush is optional to loosen fouling. You should be able to remove the barrel on that rifle. Put the breech end in a bucket of warm soapy water and use your patched jag to pump the water in and out. Repeat with a clean rinse. The dry patch till clean patches come out. Oil as preferred.

Latest posts

Back