• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Stuck jag in my SM Flintlock Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My suggestion the heat the barrel and melt the dried wax will likely work. The chance of damaging the barrel or plug is zero.

Removing breech plug is not for the inexperienced with improvised tools. The chances of damaging the barrel and/or plug is very high.

Eric. I did the exact same thing ince about 15 years ago. Never put anything down there to begin with. This was caused from too much talking when loading.

There are some rifles that the breech plug cannot be removed because the touch hole liner or drum goes through the side of the plug. In such a case make a brass bushing to fit inside of the barrel. The bushing only needs to be about 1/2" long but longer is better. The bushing has an internal hole of 1/8" or enough diameter to accommodate a 1/8" drill bit. Then make an extension for a 1/8" drill bit. Slip the bushing over the bit, put it down the barrel and drill a 1/8" hole in the jag. Then pull the jag in the normal manner using a self-threading metal screw or you can thread the hole with a tap. Don't try this without the bushing.
If the jag won't start just screw the screw in until it pushes the jag away from the plug. The screw will act as a puller.

I doubt he has a lathe and the machining skills necessary to do that. Drill bits in rifle barrels usually goes badly, but that is another thread.

I stick to my suggestion to simply melt the wax.

Had a similar problem . Took barrel our of stock, stood the barrel up vertically and slowly heated the breech end to smolder the patch away til the loosened jag fell out. Recleaned and went shooting.

Mr. Dehart.......No offence , but there are at least three cheap r/r appliances to remove cloth patches from your bore , one of which is a springy looking device that can be screwed onto a wooden r/r. and kept in your shot pouch . Takes up almost no room , and has saved my hunt a time or two.

Mr. Dehart.......No offence , but there are at least three cheap r/r appliances to remove cloth patches from your bore , one of which is a springy looking device that can be screwed onto a wooden r/r. and kept in your shot pouch . Takes up almost no room , and has saved my hunt a time or two.
Great, thanks. I think his may be on a stuck jag, but it seem sensible there would be a removal tool out there somewhere for his situation ( and mine of it happens to me again). Thanks again!

Okay, okay my good friends - I got the message not to leave Bore Butter and patch down the breech! I have learned a lesson - okay? Please keep in mind that I haven't shot a match in over a year and a half. That's very unusual for me, but I got interested in other things.

I sprayed a liberal amount of "Deep Creep" down the barrel first day and let sit for almost a week. I don't think anything got past the jag, although I was able to clear out the vent to an extent. At least I can push a pick all the way to the other side of the bore, so that tells me there must be a little space between the jag and the plug. I then took some leather strips and sandwiched them between a vice and the barrel, tightened as tight as possible. Took a large adjustable wrench and snugged up to the breech plug then wacked it with my forging hammer - no go! It just rotated in the vice! I tried this at least two times and then decided to let it rest.

MY plan is to now spray the Deep Creep in the flash hole and stop it up with a tooth pick or something - maybe some tape of some sort. I'll let it sit for another 4 or 5 days and try it over again. I think I need to find a better way to grip the barrel besides using the leather. The jaws on my vice have a bit to be desired being they are a little narrow. I am leaning towards Eric Krewson's methods. I don't think it's impossible to remove the plug, I just ain't doing it right. I'm not sure what my Oxyacetylene torch will do, but I'm thinking this will help also. Thanks again for all your help guys. I will keep you informed.
i think your on the right track, I’d spray a liberal mount of whatever you decide down the bore and in touchhole. Let it sit for a few days and try and blow it out. To remove the breech plug, I’d not use an acetylene torch… I’d go smaller and use the smaller blue propane torch, your just heating up breech plug not trying to cut it off. Some of those breech plugs can be stubborn… let us know how it all turns out for ya.. good luck!

Latest posts

Back