• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stuck jag in my SM Flintlock Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kvistads

32 Cal.
Reaction score
This has become a nightmare for me to say the least! No excuses, but I haven't shot my .45 cal Southern Mountain flintlock (42" barrel) in well over a year. That in itself shouldn't have been a problem except I left my range rod with jag and lubed patch in the bottom of the barrel sitting on top of the breech plug. I've always stored my guns this way with the patch impregnated with TC Bore Butter. Always cleaned it thoroughly and then swiped with Bore Butter leaving the patch, jag and range rod seated in the rifle.

When trying to pull the rod out of the bore, it was froze and wouldn't budge. Like someone who was too anxious, I began twisting the "T" handle on the rod and broke the jag's threaded screw off even on the range rod - now I have a stuck jag without any way of removing it unless someone knows something I don't? I built this rifle well over 20 years ago and it has won me a many of matches - I sure hate to mess it up more than I have already. I built this rifle with the intention of never having to remove the barrel or breech plug. I have successfully removed the barrel to my surprise and now looking at the breech plug. I know if I could get it out, then everything would most likely turn out okay, but I'm so afraid that it's probably welded itself to the barrel over the years and might be next to impossible to get out. Has anyone ever had experience with this problem before? Is there another alternative? Shooting the jag out doesn't appear to be an option since the flash hole is right at the jag's placement - no way to get powder behind it. Thanks for any replies...

This has become a nightmare for me to say the least! No excuses, but I haven't shot my .45 cal Southern Mountain flintlock (42" barrel) in well over a year. That in itself shouldn't have been a problem except I left my range rod with jag and lubed patch in the bottom of the barrel sitting on top of the breech plug. I've always stored my guns this way with the patch impregnated with TC Bore Butter. Always cleaned it thoroughly and then swiped with Bore Butter leaving the patch, jag and range rod seated in the rifle.
If you can get a rubber tipped air gun
1617490590284.png
I would try that. If that don't work, it isn't a big deal to take out the breech plug, especially if you built the gun.

Thanks Larry. Yes, I fitted the plug to the barrel where it would stop flush on the top flat - built and fitted the entire thing myself. It's a Green River barrel - one that I spent many hours of hand lapping on. I was just thinking that maybe if that breech plug didn't move very easily, I could heat the area of the outside of the barrel with my torch - that might expand it enough to break the bond. I wouldn't want to do any permanent damage though.

Try Mooman's idea and if it will budge use air, then you only need to move it a tad to get some black powder behind it. 20 years is a long time for traditions but if I were you I believe I would ditch the bore butter and not leave a dadgum thing in my barrel in the gun cabinet no mo

Thanks Larry. Yes, I fitted the plug to the barrel where it would stop flush on the top flat - built and fitted the entire thing myself. It's a Green River barrel - one that I spent many hours of hand lapping on. I was just thinking that maybe if that breech plug didn't move very easily, I could heat the area of the outside of the barrel with my torch - that might expand it enough to break the bond. I wouldn't want to do any permanent damage though.
Get the air gun nozzle sealed good and tight, point the barrel in a safe direction, & the jag should come out.

Was wondering the same thing. Must be the season of bore obstructions, perhaps a couple of hex marks on the guns in order.

Many thanks to all for your suggestions. I will certainly try most if not all. Yes, I do have a White Lightning vent liner, but I don't see the advantage of removing it. By doing so, I would have to drill the old one out and re-tap the threads. If I did drill it out, the jag would still be in place unless I drilled through it also. I can't see the advantage of doing that unless I'm not understanding something. The jag is flat against the breech plug with no gap. Thanks,

I second "remove the breechplug", no big deal and a sure fire fix to get out the jag.

If you didn't index the plug putting it in, do it before you take it out so you can put it right back where it belongs.

I thought I dryballed a while back, got distracted during the loading sequence, I couldn't get a ball puller to start into the ball. I worked on getting that ball out for an hour, couldn't pull it or blow it out with compressed air.

Finally I took the rifle back in my shop and pulled the breechplug only to be staring at a completely empty bore. DUH, I had never put anything down the bore, only though I had.

Another time I put an thin over powder card down the barrel of my fowler first before the powder. Again I tried everything I could think of to get that card out but nothing would grab it. Out with the breechplug and out with the card.

I can pull a barrel and remove the breechplug on one of the rifles I have built in just a little more time than it takes my compressor to charge the air tank to blow the obstruction out. I do have the nice Rice vise clamps and plug wrench. I haven't timed myself but I suspect I could pull the barrel and breechplug in under 2 minutes.

Last edited:

When trying to pull the rod out of the bore, it was froze and wouldn't budge. Like someone who was too anxious, I began twisting the "T" handle on the rod and broke the jag's threaded screw off even on the range rod - now I have a stuck jag without any way of removing it unless someone knows something I don't? I built this rifle well over 20 years ago and it has won me a many of matches - I sure hate to mess it up more than I have already. I built this rifle with the intention of never having to remove the barrel or breech plug. I have successfully removed the barrel to my surprise and now looking at the breech plug. I know if I could get it out, then everything would most likely turn out okay, but I'm so afraid that it's probably welded itself to the barrel over the years and might be next to impossible to get out. Has anyone ever had experience with this problem before? Is there another alternative? Shooting the jag out doesn't appear to be an option since the flash hole is right at the jag's placement - no way to get powder behind it. Thanks for any replies...
Fire off a bunch of caps to dry out then dump as much 4f as you can get past the nipple fire it may come out that way I hope !

Don't think air is going to work. Not crazy about working enough 4-F in behind to blow it out. The rust in and around the jag/ plug threads is going to be the problem. Heat COULD be your friend if you are careful. It would be a very good idea to replace the BP when you get it out, so don't worry about saving the original. You could just seal the touch hole and dump KROIL down the bore and let it set for a week. Then you'd know if you have a REAL problem, or maybe not. Good luck.

Brass jag or steel?

I would suggest using the old one part murphy's oil soap, one part alcohol, one part hydrogen peroxide to soak the patch/jag well and then try the air pressure before pulling the breech. pour it down the barrel and let it work.

Back