• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Stuck in Lodi again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldsalt444

32 Cal
Reaction score
I've been shooting smokeless guns for 55+ years but my experience with BP is limited. The only BP gun I own is a brass frame 1860 Army revolver. I got invited to a rendezvous and had a good time. I'm a bullseye pistol competitor and earned my Distinguished Pistol Shot badge from the CMP a couple years ago. I've done my share of hunting but living in the Republic of Commiefornia makes hunting difficult and frustrating. Anyway, I joined this forum looking for technical knowledge, tips and tricks, and some good ideas. I'm toying with the idea of getting a cap & ball revolving carbine and buying the extra cylinder for 45 LC cartridges. The rendezvous taught me a few things and with research, I found out that you shouldn't use Triple 7 in a brass frame revolver (ooops, but I didn't shoot too many of those loads), and that you have to use wads when loading BP into brass cartridge cases to take up any remaining space. Quite different from smokeless reloading which I'm very good at doing.

I understand that pure soft lead is the "go to" for BP, but is it possible to use wheel weights? Thanks to all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum. We're glad to have you here. :)

This is the "introduction" area of the forum where we get to meet new members so your questions about the other stuff need to be posted in the other areas of the forum where we talk about guns, history and reenacting and shooting supplies (and cooking).
We can't talk about cartridge guns or conversion cylinders on the forum. It's against the forum rules because these things are not related to traditional muzzleloading and they were made after 1865.

Welcome to the Forum from the Left Coast of WA State!

I have not been a member for very long but most of the folks here know their stuff. Zonie is a strict but very knowledgeable moderator. Read the rules, stick with them, and you won't be politely chastised as I have been twice for not sticking by the rules. I think I have (hopefully) learned my lesson. :)

Regards,

Jim

Welcome to the Campfire! After a year, you will have several of these things, and will play 'dress-up' as well. Wait and see..... With these guns, we modify them with commercial or home-made parts, shoot them with home-made bullets, and get to do so many other things to make them 'just right', and even have different accouterments and gear for each rifle, pistol, and shotgun. You'll see, and the accuracy of these iron-sighted wonders will amaze you. Welcome to Traditional Black Powder and Patched Ball shooting. Loading a lead ball wrapped in oily cotton into a powder charged barrel, and ramming it home with a stick, may look very primitive, but when you put 2 balls through the same hole offhand at 25-30 yards, you realize that these things will SHOOT! Some of the best gear is available at the Suttlers' Tent at any Rendezvous. Guns, knives, hawks, accessories and more.

I've been shooting smokeless guns for 55+ years but my experience with BP is limited. The only BP gun I own is a brass frame 1860 Army revolver. I got invited to a rendezvous and had a good time. I'm a bullseye pistol competitor and earned my Distinguished Pistol Shot badge from the CMP a couple years ago. I've done my share of hunting but living in the Republic of Commiefornia makes hunting difficult and frustrating. Anyway, I joined this forum looking for technical knowledge, tips and tricks, and some good ideas. I'm toying with the idea of getting a cap & ball revolving carbine and buying the extra cylinder for 45 LC cartridges. The rendezvous taught me a few things and with research, I found out that you shouldn't use Triple 7 in a brass frame revolver (ooops, but I didn't shoot too many of those loads), and that you have to use wads when loading BP into brass cartridge cases to take up any remaining space. Quite different from smokeless reloading which I'm very good at doing.

I understand that pure soft lead is the "go to" for BP, but is it possible to use wheel weights? Thanks to all.

Welcome aboard.

Been thinking the same thing on the revolving carbine. Seems a lot of others have as they are scarce right now, same with 1858 Sheriff's models. I like your plan on that though, went that way with an 1858 Sheriff.

As far as using wheel weights, they are great for cartridge guns, but what they will mess with on you cap and ball revolvers is the loading levers, due to the extra force needed to "shave a ring" when seating the ball. Now if you use a loading stand/press to load the cylinder off of the revolver, that is mitigated.

So you can use wheel weight alloy but its hardness will cause you problems when using the loading lever. Wheel weights are also OK for using to make round balls for patching as well. Soft lead will work better and bee easier to load for things line REAL bullets or Minie bullets, as with the REAL, softer makes it easier to load, and with Minies softer makes the skirt flare out easier to better engage the rifling.

In regards to the Triple 7, and brass frame revolvers in general, it is not so much the Triple 7, but how much you use. Even with real black powder, loads in a brasser need to be on the light end of things if you want it to last so if you went down 10% on what a light load of BP would be, Triple 7 would work, just make sure to seat the ball all the way on top of the powder. Using a "wonder wad" can help take up that space and help seal the chamber and lube the gun to prevent fouling build up as well.

Welcome aboard. I have a couple of cousins stuck in Lodi and my aunt and uncle stay there from time to time when they are not in Arizona. My folks lived there for a couple of years in the late 1970s, which is that last time I was there. As long as the libs control the state, I won't be back. I get irritated enough in the purple state of Iowa, but with 7 grandkids here, Grandma isn't going anywhere, so I guess I'm not either.

Anyhow, glad to have you join us. This is a great place to learn and just hang out in general.

Welcome to the forum. I lived near your area for many years, and got the heck out when I retired. At least on here, you can interact with normal people from around the world.
I was planning a trip back over that way this summer to visit some family and friends....but at this point I just can't see it happening.

Thanks to all the friendly replies. It's nice to feel welcomed, and I appreciate the camaraderie and advice.

There's a story behind the song. Back in the 60's when Credence Clearwater Revival was a fledgeling garage band in San Francisco; they landed a gig in Lodi to play at the high school's graduation dance. Lodi was (and still is to a lesser degree) a redneck country kind of town. When CCR showed up in Bay Area style with their long hair, bell bottoms and tie-dye shirts; they were soundly rejected and couldn't play their gig. Well, they used up all their money getting ready and travelling to Lodi. They were counting on the money from the gig to get back home. So they were broke and stuck in Lodi.

I'm brand new to the forum, but I'm just up the road from you off HWY 12 between Wallace & Burson.

I lived in Lodi in 1995. Nice little town.

Years ago I shot a wild boar 475 lbs. with a wheel weight bullet. I had a stainless Old Army .I used 4ffffg goes or dupont at the time. Don't try it in anything but an Old Army or you will likely eat the cylinder and hammer.Put the boar rght to sleep .More power than a 44 special .Get your self an Old Army before they get too expensive. You'll be glad you did!

Latest posts

Back