• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Stuck clean out screw

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't remove the nipple every time I clean the gun but I do every 2nd or 3rd time cleaning and the clean out screw as well. Each tim I add a little oil to the threads. Do this and you should not have a problem with it locking in place.

I use one of the cheap Harbor Freight hammer impact screwdrivers on stuck clean out screws. Been using them for years on guns with buggered up screw heads.

Kroil, KW knock it loose and maybe heat from propane torch when you know for sure it's unloaded. Once out, replace with a allen or hex head screw and use screw driver slot head screw for re enactment or rendezvous. Don't forget to add allen wrench to shooting bag or loading box. Rub with some anti seize compound for auto parts screws, spark plugs, manifold bolts, etc. for easy future removal. It doesn't hurt a thing to occasionally unscrew it and clean and lube that part of the breech, drum or snail. Just make sure to shoulder head of screw tight or flush with side of drum or snail when re installing. Excessive removal of drum will wear the thread and cause misalignment of hammer nose to the nipple or a loose drum with play. I don't recommend trying to shim it with washer. . A sufficient number of fine threads and length of clean out screw should not offer a safety concern. Some hunters will unscrew the nipple, add some 4F powder in the drum and re screw the nipple, This is added insurance that the firearm goes bang when you pull the trigger. The clean out screw can be unscrewed to run a vent pick in when adding powder to a misfire in the nipple doesn't work or fouling or wet powder needs to be cleaned out of breech face and unfired load needs some help from dry 4F added. . Haven't heard of any accidents where an adjacent shooter on the line has been hit with a blown clean out screw or vent liner (flint). But have of blown nipples on percussion guns.

Get it drilled and tapped for a decent stainless screw from the hardware store specialty boxes in the back of the store. My favorite- 10-24 stainless, greased with Anti-Sneeze prior to insertion. Works great! I pull it every time I clean, and when it's gone bad, that's why they invented Heli-Coils. Tinhorn

Back