• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stuck bullet

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My suggestion to weld was to be able to attach a drill bit to predrill the ball to prevent expansion when the ball puller is screwed into the ball. Mostly because it sounds like the o.p. will be making his own range rod.
I think he too mentioned welding on a T handle. It's much easier to drill and tap.

Can someone telly why guys won't use a grease gun?
I mean really, I don't understand why pumping a little grease is too hard. But they build long cutting torches. They build super long drill bits that get stuck. They heat the breach hot enough to melt the bullet.
But a grease gun, oh no not the grease gun.

Attachments

• 20210424_114200.jpg
    20210424_114200.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 55
Drilling lead is Really hard on drill bits…
Is it going to take 6 pages to get to making a breechplug wrench? I think the Kroil/ atf has been in there long enough.
Entertaining though!
“Following…”

If you had a stuck ball in a 46 inch 62 caliber barrel, how many pumps on a grease gun handle would it take to push the bullet out?

If you had a stuck ball in a 46 inch 62 caliber barrel, how many pumps on a grease gun handle would it take to push the bullet out?

Im guessing about 3 tubes of grease, or about $9.00 worth.
It certainly seems easier than welding and drilling.

But the only dry ball I ever had was cured in 10 minutes by pulling the nipple and trickling powder into the drum. The ball hit a cross tie and bounced back.

I've unloaded more than one barrel using the air compressor method. 90 psi and a rubber tipped nozzle tightly pressed against the flash hole sent the ball, powder, and patch up the driveway and into the cornfield across the street

Its great to point a new member toward existing threads but perhaps they are not familiar with the search process. I personally don’t mind a rehash of stuff most of us already know. Occasionally, someone may gave a new idea. If I’m not interested to see another stuck bullet thread I just choose to pass it over and don’t read it. Just my 2 cents…

Last edited:
After the same thing going on forever, it really gets tiresome, especially after over 7 pages last week and then it starts again this week.

There are only so many ways to get a stuck ball or bullet out of a barrel.

Wonder how the guy in 1817 managed to get one out of his barrel without the www? Any idea?

He did not have a grease gun, no air compressor, no CO2 cylinder, etc. No access to a welder to lengthen his metal ramrod.

What did he do?

After the same thing going on forever, it really gets tiresome, especially after over 7 pages last week and then it starts again this week.

There are only so many ways to get a stuck ball or bullet out of a barrel.

Wonder how the guy in 1817 managed to get one out of his barrel without the www? Any idea?
Try reading the first post then wait a few days and read the last posts. Finding out how the shooter actually got it out is the most interesing part for me.
I think these stuck bullet threads are part of a new American trend where some are reveling in their stupidity/ignorance. They like telling the world about it and then the rest of us, the smart ones, get to be smart in front of the whole world while making cracks at the dumb guys.

After a long time here, I am of the opinion that some folks should not possess/own guns. These folks are dangerous, without adult supervision.

Like, how do I load my gun, how do I clean my gun and how do I get the stuck bullet out of my gun after failing to put powder in my gun.

Continue on with the pages of stuck bullets and how to get them out.

After a long time here, I am of the opinion that some folks should not possess/own guns. These folks are dangerous, without adult supervision.

Like, how do I load my gun, how do I clean my gun and how do I get the stuck bullet out of my gun after failing to put powder in my gun.

Continue on with the pages of stuck bullets and how to get them out.
We all started somewhere and we were perty dumb but we kept it to ourselves. I always did. Except the time I overloaded that 12 guage a little and tattooed the wife's face with powder blast. Leaky breech plug. She had a nice straight black line down the side of her face. She wasn't much to look at anyway and she was a good sport. It faded some over the years.

He did not have a grease gun, no air compressor, no CO2 cylinder, etc. No access to a welder to lengthen his metal ramrod.

What did he do?
Pulled it with a ball puller, but I'm also still of the thought that they didn't load as tight a combo as many do today..

Or,,,, even better,,,,,, didn't get it stuck in the 1st place. (Again, maybe loads weren't as tight?)

How did the guy in 1750 pull that ball? Not a lot of evidence for rod tips that took screw in accessories like ball pullers, being common.

Pulled it with a ball puller, but I'm also still of the thought that they didn't load as tight a combo as many do today..

Or,,,, even better,,,,,, didn't get it stuck in the 1st place. (Again, maybe loads weren't as tight?)

How did the guy in 1750 pull that ball? Not a lot of evidence for rod tips that took screw in accessories like ball pullers, being common.
Absolutely.
They had the sense to use thumb started balls with real animal greased patches.

Can someone telly why guys won't use a grease gun?
Hi Ron! It's great to see you here. Have you heard any word from your neighbor Lewis?
Its great to point a new member toward existing threads but perhaps they are not familiar with the search process. I personally don’t mind a rehash of stuff most of us already know. Occasionally, someone may gave a new idea. If I’m not interested to see another stuck bullet thread I just choose to pass it over and don’t read it. Just my 2 cents…
I'm with you there - move on if it doesn't grab my interest. But I think a lot of guys can't help themselves - like trying not to look at the train wreck, or the accident on the other side of the freeway.

Latest posts

Back