• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stuck bullet

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not put a steel T handle rod in it and attach it to the roof as a lightning rod. A bolt from the blue will melt the lead. Problem Solved.

i,ve done this twice,,,i took the nipple off load powder in put the nipple back use cci #11 cap,,,but make sure the ball is all the way down,,,then shoot,,,it will come out

It’s simple. Mercury dissolves lead. All you have to do is pour mercury down the bore. It will dissolve the lead and you just pour it all out. Or use the Lewis Lead Out to remove it.

Pin all attachments to the rod. use a small wood screw to make a puller by cutting off the head and threading the back of the screw. Something to remember is if you use powder to shoot a bullet out, each time you add powder, push the bullet into contact with the powder, never leave a gap.

Get a butane blow torch and a long brass nozzle that can be inserted all the way into the barrel until you are just above the STUCK BULLET. Next hang the rifle suspended mid-air with the muzzle end down so that the STUCK BULLET can be released.
Now, turn on the blow torch. Be careful where you aim it so that you do not set the area you are working in on fire and burn everything down, as this could permanently damage your rifle with the STUCK BULLET,
Next, insert the flaming torch extension nozzle into the barrel. If you hear crackling noises it may be residual bore oil or other matter in the barrel above the STUCK BULLET. If however the crackling noise is the finish blistering and peeling on the forestock, you are overheating the barrel with the STUCK BULLET too much in one spot.
Now with care, the torch may begin to melt the STUCK BULLET and it will drop out of the barrel. If you over-heat the STUCK BULLET you risk melted lead dripping down your barrel, but that would be another thread to begin (which probably hasn't been started a hundred times before).
Allow the barrel to cool before you handle it.
This is a sure-fire way that should work in removing your STUCK BULLET.

I must've missed something here. If the bullet was fully seated, and the man soaked the charge that tells me the ball had powder behind it. Why not just fire it out before he soaked it down? How did this "loader" screw things up then?

I could see if the loader dry balled it, then it's just a matter of getting the ball out. However if there was powder then ball and it was fully seated I would've tried to fire it out. Unless of course it was only like 5 grains or something. Even then I think I'd try dribbling powder into the touch hole or nipple and try again.

Last edited:
I still think we should revisit using a bottle type jack, bracing the gun between a car tire and a wall, and a really big hammer.

Seriously though, next time keep putting powder in the drum until the ball exits the barrel.

Whoever started the idea of soaking the bore of a dry ball with oil should be horse-whipped!

I always load .45 caliber balls in a .40 caliber rifle to improve the ballistic coefficient. Sometimes they stick halfway down and I blow them out by doing what you said. Thanks for the reminder from France.

Well now that he's soaked the charge, the only way out is to pull it. I say clean the bore to get the soot out, then lightly oil the bore before you pull the ball so there's less resistance.

BTW, there's no need to weld anything to a range rod. Clamp the tips of each rod end into a vice, then center a drill press over the tip. Then drill a center hole on each end of the rod. Tap the thread size you need into each end, then thread on T handle on one side, and your choice of implement on the other. It's pretty darn hard to strip out a T handle or ball puller that's secured to a steel rod via good threads

I must've missed something here. If the bullet was fully seated, and the man soaked the charge that tells me the ball had powder behind it. Why not just fire it out before he soaked it down?
You appear to have missed post #5.

> Prior to killing the charge, I added 10-grs powder in nipple-hole, didn't phase it!

I assume the OP meant ‘faze’. Even then, this comment makes no sense at all.

Last edited:
Well now that he's soaked the charge, the only way out is to pull it. I say clean the bore to get the soot out, then lightly oil the bore before you pull the ball so there's less resistance.

BTW, there's no need to weld anything to a range rod. Clamp the tips of each rod end into a vice, then center a drill press over the tip. Then drill a center hole on each end of the rod. Tap the thread size you need into each end, then thread on T handle on one side, and your choice of implement on the other. It's pretty darn hard to strip out a T handle or ball puller that's secured to a steel rod via good threads
My suggestion to weld was to be able to attach a drill bit to predrill the ball to prevent expansion when the ball puller is screwed into the ball. Mostly because it sounds like the o.p. will be making his own range rod.

Back