• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Stuck bullet

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muskeelover

32 Cal
Reaction score
HELP!!!

I've owned a Hawken .54 for many years, and several pistols, never an issue; but my time ran out!!!

Never trust someone else loading your rifle! I recently purchased a Euroarms 1863 Richmond musket; first couple shots..perfect! My "loader" messed up the powder charge, and now I have a .58 bullet stuck! I have tried compressed air, with no movement. My ramrod does not have the female-connection piece to accept a bullet-puller screw. I have soaked the action via the barrel, nipple hole, side inspection hole, and on rear of breech plug. Using Kroil Penetrating oil. Now mixing a 50/50 mix of Acetone and Dextron ATF fluid. Plan to soak breech-plug and in barrel for a week.

What are my odds of trying to use ramrod to PULL the bullet, with attachments? I plan to make a breech-plug wrench, then remove plug.

ANY advice/direction is greatly appreciated.

Yeah, should come out fairly easy after you've treated the powder charge and load the way you have. If you can borrow a range road with a puller screw on it, you won't have any trouble.

Bullet is fully seated! Prior to killing the charge, I added 10-grs powder in nipple-hole, didn't phase it! I soaked barrel in Kroil for 3 days, then in WD-40 for 2 days. Bullet was casted, with lube-grooves. When loading it, I lubed the bullet well, and it went down relatively easy, considering it was my third shot, without cleaning.

I can easily weld my own range-rod (3/8") with T-handle. If I can locate a 10-32 female coupling/nut, I will weld it to the end, then can screw on my bullet-puller (with brass guide).

I have pulled round balls but have had trouble with the screw boring out lead instead of screwing into it sometimes. Any chance getting any powder behind it again? I only have flint so I don't know any better I guess.

HELP!!!

I've owned a Hawken .54 for many years, and several pistols, never an issue; but my time ran out!!!

Never trust someone else loading your rifle! I recently purchased a Euroarms 1863 Richmond musket; first couple shots..perfect! My "loader" messed up the powder charge, and now I have a .58 bullet stuck! I have tried compressed air, with no movement. My ramrod does not have the female-connection piece to accept a bullet-puller screw. I have soaked the action via the barrel, nipple hole, side inspection hole, and on rear of breech plug. Using Kroil Penetrating oil. Now mixing a 50/50 mix of Acetone and Dextron ATF fluid. Plan to soak breech-plug and in barrel for a week.

What are my odds of trying to use ramrod to PULL the bullet, with attachments? I plan to make a breech-plug wrench, then remove plug.

Being you have tried several ways with no success try laying your rod beside the barrel to know how deep your rod should be when in the barrel empty. Like someone else said the round may have come out and you didn't realize it? If you are dead sure it is still in the barrel stop right where you are and carry it to a gunsmith or machinist before you do more harm than good!

Dropping ramrod in (on male threaded end), it is sticking to the bullet, and tip comes out with lead-sign. Bullet still in there.

I agree with some of the other posts but here is a suggestion....put your ramrod down the barrel. Mark the spot on the rod sticks out of the muzzle. Next, lay the rod along side the barrel, with the mark on the rod at the muzzle. If the load is still in the barrel, the rod will be short of the breech. If the ball is gone, the rod will be very close to the breech.

Dropping ramrod in (on male threaded end), it is sticking to the bullet, and tip comes out with lead-sign. Bullet still in there.
You need proper equipment to extract a bullet. Don't have it? Then buy it or borrow! You didn't say caliber, but if is a musket it most likely is a larger caliber. (lots of lead to grab) A good ball puller with a centering collar, a decent range rod using heavy downward pressure will get the ball out. It is not a turn the rod once or twice, it is a screw it in process.
You have plenty of lub in there already.
Good luck
Larry

HELP!!!

If all else fails, my Uncle removed a ball from my rifle (same situation) with a device he bought that uses CO2 cartridges. As I recall it had an adapter that either fit on the nipple or screwed into the drum. Don't remember where he got it, so let google do the work.

Of you can weld a T-handle rod together, you cab also weld a very small drill bit to the tip of that rod. Use a bore guide to center the rod and bit and predrill the ball. Then remove the bit and weld a sharp screw or commercially made ball puller to the rod. Screw the puller into the rod and hook the T-handle onto some rafters or through a loop tied to a branch, something strong that will hold your weight. Pull down on the rifle.
Predrilling the ball will keep the tapered screw of the ball puller from expanding the ball further and making it even more difficult to move.

WOW!!! Excellent comments! THANK you all!

Mine's a .58 cal. I am welding a 3/8' rod with T-handle, welding on a female-adapter (10-32) coupling to end, then using commercial "bullet puller". The bullet/lead feels soft, hoping not to have to drill it.

I carry three sizes of bullet puller screws in my shooting bag. They all fit both the ramrod under the barrel and my range rod. The first one is the smallest and just might do the job. If that doesn't work and pulls out of the lead ball I use the next bigger one. It goes in the earlier hole and usually pulls the ball out. If that doesn't work the final "lag bolt" screw will get it out. When using the largest screw I usually have it attached to the T Handle that is solid brass. Wooden ramrods have been known to come apart and leave the screw and tip stuck in the barrel along with the ball - that is a bad thing.

Back