• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stuck ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auldgoat

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Am in need of some help here. (Many will agree)
.490 pure lead ball, .020 pillow ticking (compressed thickness). A sparse Olive oil lube. Was trying for better accuracy and a cleaner bore. Yes, a tight fit. Dry-balled the second shot. Ball is stuck about 4" in. Realized my error as I hit the short starter but too late. I've tried an air compressor but all I got was a hissing sound from the muzzle. Sprayed the bore with a shot of PBR Blaster then tried a ball puller, but the rb won't budge. I quit that idea on the third attempt for fear of burrowing through. Tried a trickle of 4f through the touch hole (± 15 gn) and all I gots was smoke and a hiss at both ends. No movement. I'm starting to suspect I got ahold of a .495 ball from long ago but.... :surrender:
Thanks for any help you might could offer.
Will

I am in the shoot it out crowd. Remove nipple or liner, trickle in about 5-10 grains in the breech, replace nipple or liner, seat the ball on the powder, cap/prime, shoot. reload this time with powder first. I do this all the time. Learned it on this forum.

I guess if i read your entire post I would not have explained the procedure. Did you remember to seat the ball on the powder? 10 grains is a good charge, should launch anything you could seat.

Hi
I sympathise with your predicament having dry balled as well as a ramrod tip snapping off as I had used too dry a cleaning patch! I echo the need that you need to ensure that the ball is against the powder charge so there isn't an air space, this could cause a burst. I would use a brass rod to tap the stuck ball down to the breech, less chance of damaging your rifling.
Good luck! :thumbsup:
Reiver XXV

You need to get the ball in all the way. I don't think any powder charge or co2 will work otherwise. You can wrap tape every few inches or so around a steel rod so it won't damage the rifling.

Thank you, Mooman. It worked! Without messing up the bore!
A bit of the back story- The rifle had been kept loaded (unprimed) for deer season for the past week. Had used Crisco for the lube. Fired the shot and WOW was the bore fouled! Didn't think too much about it until I dry-balled an oversized round. That ain't gonna happen again! Well, the Crisco ennyways. Again, Thanks y'all.
Will

I have done as birdshot recommends, but ONLY if the ball can be shoved down close upon the touch hole (you don't want to ring the barrel).

How about soaking it thoroughly (as in drenching) with a good penetrating oil, and let it soak overnight. I would think you would be able to ram the ball down the bore then. (Go easy, or you might shove the ramrod through the breech plug :grin: )

Good luck.

OOPS! Should have read further...the problem was solved.

I use crisco but how i do it is heat some up and drip my patchs
That wayit reduces the fowling

I use a 3/8 steel rod, drilled and tapped for a brass jag. I treaded the other end for a large plastic round knob. I use a brass muzzle guide, to protect the muzzle. I guarantee, it will seat anything that can go 4" down the barrel.

To avoid such problems in the future, I highly recommend wiping your bore after each shot. Just a damp patch wiith your favorite bore cleaning solution (water is good) will keep your bore from becoming fouled to the point that you have a repeat of this problem. Simply run the damp patch all the way into the breach and then out is all you need. Do not pump it, just in and out. You will be amazed by how easily your patched ball will seat if you will do this. :hatsoff:

Crisco was what a LOT of us started with in the 70's and few to none of us still use. When all we had to go by was two pages in the Lyman Reloading Guide, the Appendix of the Dixie Gun Works Catalog and the occasional Sam Fadala article in Outdoor Life.

Anything damp works, but some work better than others.

If you do use Crisco you should also do as Bill says and spit-wipe after every shot.

Back