• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Stuck ball, now with drill bit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wrap the muzzle in a bath towel and tape burrito. Fire into the back lawn. Avoid sprinkler pipes. The noise will be zero from the muzzle.

I saw Thomas Magnum do that 40years ago on TV. I thought I can do that. All i got was ringing ears and a towel on fire duct taped to my barrel. Everyone in a quarter mile heard it as well.

If it is 6-8 inches away from the breech face, you need to re-seat it (somehow) if you plan on shooting it out, dont needto addany additional character to the barrel.
Correct.

I first put in FFFFg Goex (17 gr, not 30 gr as I had said before) through the breech port and nipple well. Chose superfine powder to help get more in. Superfine packs very easily, so I had to pour a little powder, use a piece of wire to break up whatever packed, pour some more, etc. I put in all that would fit.

Then I used the aluminum tube to reseat the ball. The tube went over the drill bit (put another way, the drill bit went into the tube) and I tapped the tube down the barrel as far as it would go.

After pulling the trigger and seeing the tube was gone, put the ram rod down the barrel. It went all the way to the 'empty barrel' mark on the rod, so I knew the ball was out. Oh, what a feeling!

Brilliant idea to use a tube, as it kept the drill bit from possibly hitting the barrel.

OP here.

SUCCESS!!

Bought a 36" aluminum tube, 1/2", put it in the barrel after moving the ball back, put probably 30 grains of powder in and the tube shot out about 48 yards. Just did this yesterday. Couldn't find the ball, but it's definitely out.
Apparently 30 grains of powder will launch an aluminum tube about 48 yards. The ball and drill bit have been lost to the range.

Oh, also, I do live in a very urban area, in a very (excessively) restrictive state. Would probably have to drive 100 miles to find a random place to shoot and even then, good chance I'd get arrested. So had to rely on 'the range,' which ended up being closed for about five weeks. Would really like to be able to go out back and shoot at a tree stump. But our HOA doesn't allow tree stumps.

Where's your adventurous spirit? Arrested? Pfffft..............

Want to keep this thread going ?

took me over 25 years but I had my first dry ball experience today.
I have a fairly stout brass range rod and put on the ball puller attachment
(I know, after reading this thread i realize I should have shot it out)

That ball didn't want to move, I figured it just needed a bit more convincing. Poured a bit of moose milk down the barrel for lube and got a pretty big guy to hold the gun while I proceeded to rip the ball puller out of the ball
Now I have a stuck ball with a big hole all the way through it

One of the tricks mentioned earlier was to thread a screw into the ball with a dowel. Then fill the breech and blow it out of there - dowel and all.

A friend had a ball stuck in the barrel, he then stripped the ball puller out of the ball, leaving a hole. Tried shooting it out, most of the pressure went through the hole and just barely moved the ball. Loaded more powder behind the ball and pushed some small pieces of lead down the barrel, was able to close the hole and shoot the ball out.

Sounds to me like you need to get a drill bit stuck in there to fill that hole ASAP.

Just did that (sort of). Use the thicker screw that came with my .50 cal set, swapped the brass guide with the one from the 45, put it on my brass range rod and screwed it in tight.

With the screw in I tried the compressed air method - I have a fairly large compressor that goes to just over 100 lbs, didn't budge.

Latest posts

Back