• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stuck ball, now with drill bit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This sort of reminds me of "the Sunken Sidecar of Doom", a thread on a motorcycle forum that went on for YEARS! A sidecar had been spotted mostly submerged in the muck of a tidel bore near a bridge somewhere in the Netherlands, I believe it was. I think it was spotted in a photo taken of something else and speculation on what it was and how to retrieve it went on for years. At first no one even knew where it was, but there was enough of a view of the bridge (and it was somewhat unique) that eventually it was located. The thread went on for pages and pages and pages, and eventually three or four guys went down there and retrieved the poor old rusty hulk. Mystery solved! Book closed! Fun's over.

If you wanted to read through the whole saga, googling the name should get you there.

I think you need to take the dowel you started with, and drill it out a little bigger, insert it back on the drill bit, as it appears to be centered and leave it on and remove your nipple and work as much powder in it as you can and shoot it out. The dowel will protect the barrel from the drill bit and it will be like shooting your ramrod, down range. Give it a go.

Actually, I really have enjoyed this little thread. It's far better than politics, and so far no ones been hurt or injured, and apparently the gun is still okay. I have followed this through all away, like most have, and once the ball is out we will have to find something new. Just what the heck are retired people supposed to do without things like this?
Squint

if i were going to shoot it out. [ and i would not, i would pull the plug] i would at least use a bore size metal rod and try to drive the drill bit in flush with the front of the ball so that if it rotates coming out the bit will be dragging along the rifling not having a chance to dig into it . as it could if it were still sticking out the front. i dont believe a wooden dowel would not split if the bit moved sideways at all coming out. just my 2 cents, and you can have change if you want. 2 shots ps please git er done already :dunno:

I'm done beating this poor dead horse.
1616020709920.png

Okay, people, settle down. The only range around is closed until Monday for major maintenance, so I plan to go there then. In the past 30 years, they have NEVER been closed more than a day at a time, but it's been over a week now. (And it's been only 10 days since I first posted this 'problem.') Plus I now have a huge patch over one eye (surgery on retina went well), so calm down.

Can't go out and just shoot a tree stump. Not around here. :mad: Unfortunately.

Back