• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stuck ball, now with drill bit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8zkVcmq.jpg

I have never owned a ball puller. Just shoot it out. Probably done it a 100 times over the years. Flint and percussion. Just push some powder in and go. After you get as much in as you can, shove the ball back down. Of course if you drilled a hole all the way through the ball, then unbreaching is all that’s left. Air, grease etc won’t work.

Just shoot the ball out. Ball on the powder or not. Why do folk get so complicated over a stuck ball. Get as much powder in there as you can and shoot it it out. If it doesn't work first time add more powder.
And stop gluing drill bits to wooden dowl 🤦‍♂️
I had a good friend that had a similar problem, He removed the nipple and used the powder from a single .22 long rifle cartridge poured in the nipple hole, screwed the nipple back in and capped and fired the ball debris out and across the room

I'd use a grease gun. I just hope that someone who tries to drill out a stuck ball isn't also someone who screws up bolster threads with the wrong size zerk.

Good luck, life is full of learning opportunities.

Yes, this is truly a learning opportunity, as in never do this again.
I'm of the mindset mentioned previously: if you're digging yourself into a hole, stop digging and set the shovel down.
The borescope should arrive in the next few days. Really want to assess the situation before totally wrecking this.

I had a good friend that had a similar problem, He removed the nipple and used the powder from a single .22 long rifle cartridge poured in the nipple hole, screwed the nipple back in and capped and fired the ball debris out and across the room
Ok but I dont recommend putting smokeless powder in there.
I recommend 4f. The universal muzzleloader powder 👌

Yes, this is truly a learning opportunity, as in never do this again.
I'm of the mindset mentioned previously: if you're digging yourself into a hole, stop digging and set the shovel down.
The borescope should arrive in the next few days. Really want to assess the situation before totally wrecking this.

For future reference, the first 10 things someone should try to remove a stuck ball is

Shoot it out.
Shoot it out.
Shoot it out.
Shoot it out.
Shoot it out.
Shoot it out.
Shoot it out.
Shoot it out.
Shoot it out.
Shoot it out.

Most of us don't have 4f black powder, but do have .22 long rifle ammo handy and It works.
3f then.
Rimfire ammo is close to 100% nitro.
Some resourceful idiot one day may get a misfire. Tip another case full in, get a misfire and tip more in! Then when it does light up......get the point!
Use black powder instead. That's my recommendation.

Remove the nipple from the rifle, and take it to your local hardware or auto parts shop, and get a Zerk fitting with the same thread. Wrap a shop rag around the muzzle, and then tape large garbage bag over it. Pump up the grease gun, and if everything is fitted properly, the ball will squirt out with surprising force. (which is why you have the shop towel and garbage bag around it)

3f then.
Rimfire ammo is close to 100% nitro.
Some resourceful idiot one day may get a misfire. Tip another case full in, get a misfire and tip more in! Then when it does light up......get the point!
Use black powder instead. That's my recommendation.
The resourceful idiot is hard to deter. You can not put stupidity into remission.

Heat it hot enough to melt the lead and you will discolor and/or damage barrel finish.
Yeah understand that but would it actually hurt the barrel. After all a barrel can be refinished.
Not advocating doing it.
Considering the OP thinks the bit has contacted the bore it's either that or the barrel is going to be near at or at useless.

Last edited:
Get a steel rod of appropriate diameter. There are bins of them at most hardware stores. Using your barbecue or cooking mitts heat the end until it frightens you a little. Put it in your barrel to seal the hole through the lead. Proceed with grease or compressed air after the lead cools.
Alternatively you might try an electrician's fish bit for your drill. You can get 1/2 inch up to 72 inches long. Very carefully and slowly drill out the great bulk of the ball. The rest of it might yield to cleaning tools.

Yeah understand that but would it actually hurt the barrel. After all a barrel can be refinished.
Not advocating doing it.
Considering the OP thinks the bit has contacted the bore it's either that or the barrel is going to be near at or at useless.
Lead melts at about 620 the temperature for charcoal bluing is 850.
Lotta charcoal blue barrels out there.

Not advocating doing it.
Lead melts at about 620 the temperature for charcoal bluing is 850.
Lotta charcoal blue barrels out there.
Not sure OPs barrel has a Cerakote type finish or not (Pedersoli uses it on a number of their guns), but even if it isn’t, why cause more ‘damage’ before he gets his borescope for a better look at the situation in the bore.

Get a steel rod of appropriate diameter. There are bins of them at most hardware stores. Using your barbecue or cooking mitts heat the end until it frightens you a little. Put it in your barrel to seal the hole through the lead. Proceed with grease or compressed air after the lead cools.
Alternatively you might try an electrician's fish bit for your drill. You can get 1/2 inch up to 72 inches long. Very carefully and slowly drill out the great bulk of the ball. The rest of it might yield to cleaning tools.
How many times have you successfully used this hot poker method to seal a hole in a lead ball stuck in a barrel? I have never heard of it before and would love to hear more about the process.

???? is there not a drill bit stuck in the ball? shoot it out ? melt the hole closed? do any of you that say shoot it out really feel the bit is just going to stay centered when its fired out of the barrel? be safe pull the plug. my 2 cents just sayin.

Back