• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Stuck ball in a charged rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, it felt good when I saw it drop out of the barrel.

I looked but could not find if jtlancer, the OP, got his stuck ball out. Anyone know if he did? Did he end up shooting it out?

ATB
Jerry

***Update***
So the C02 discharger was useless in my situation. I ended up using a ball puller which immediately dislodged and removed the stuck ball and patch. My last issue is removing the hard. caked powder/ballistol mixture from the breach. Even with the ball out I was unable to blow out the gunk with the discharger. Any suggestions on what to use to break up that gunk? Or should I try shooting it out now that the ball has been removed?

Maybe look at getting a small portable steam cleaner. I got one on Ebay for about 30 dollars. Does a great job of loosening up the crud in the barrel.
Hey that is a great idea and luckily I already have one!
Silly question but...you don't think there is any danger of ignition with the heat applied from the steam? I know its water vapor not a spark but I had to ask because this is my frist time trying this method.
:doh:

Hey that is a great idea and luckily I already have one!
Silly question but...you don't think there is any danger of ignition with the heat applied from the steam? I know its water vapor not a spark but I had to ask because this is my frist time trying this method.
:doh:
Black powder needs temperatures well over 400°F to ignite. The only way to get steam that hot is to boil the water inside a pressurized tank with the steam under hundreds of psi of pressure so no, your steamer won't set off the black powder.

Now, if you were using a steam locomotive from the 1940's that used superheated steam for your steam supply you might get steam temperatures like that.

Black powder needs temperatures well over 400°F to ignite. The only way to get steam that hot is to boil the water inside a pressurized tank with the steam under hundreds of psi of pressure so no, your steamer won't set off the black powder.

Now, if you were using a steam locomotive from the 1940's that used superheated steam for your steam supply you might get steam temperatures like that.
Good to know!
I am going to try it now. With my little steamer not a locomotive. :)

Almost forgot to include a pic of the crime scene.
stuck_ball_and_patch.jpg

Now that he got the ball out and cleaned with steam. :thumb: I got to wondering ? 🙄 Had steam ever been attempted to be the "force" to push a RB out a barrel intentionally ? 😵 I did a quick search with no immediate results. I know we have had interesting examples of compressed air being used (ie; Lewis and Clark Expedition) 🏕

Glad you got it out. Did the steam get the gunk behind it out? I've used a bullet puller alternated with a patch puller to break up and clean out gunk that was left in a barrel.

ATB.

Jerry

Latest posts

Back