• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stripped screw help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevie

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi All

So picked up a used Uberti 1861 that was used. Turned out the person kept good care of the exterior but neglected other parts. Anyway when i took it apart this screw was pretty much stripped. I made it a little worse. Any idea how to remove it?

The other screws came out easy, this one stuck. Guess thats why it was stripped in first place. The nipples were rusted in place, trying to remove them now.

Hi All

So picked up a used Uberti 1861 that was used. Turned out the person kept good care of the exterior but neglected other parts. Anyway when i took it apart this screw was pretty much stripped. I made it a little worse. Any idea how to remove it?

The other screws came out easy, this one stuck. Guess thats why it was stripped in first place. The nipples were rusted in place, trying to remove them now.

A few of different methods, one you can take a slotted screw driver (hollow ground), place it in the slot and try to tap the screw driver in further to the slot with a hammer. Not sure that will work in this situation though. Secondly try a rubber band laid lengthwise along the stripped slot, push your screwdriver in as hard as you can and see it that will back the screw out. Thirdly would be to take a rotary tool (Dremel, etc) with a cutting head and see if you can make the slot a little deeper then use a narrower screw driver head to remove the screw.
The most time consuming would be to drill down the center of the screw and use a screw extractor to remove the screw without damaging the threads.

Last edited:
You may be able to get a little grinding bit in a dremel tool to make the slot a little deeper and then get it out. I've done that before on stripped screws. I messed up one of the screws on my 1851 the other day, ordered a new one from EMF for $5,they carry all of them.

Thanks for the info. I tried the rubber band method did not work. Will try to hammer down a screw bit. I have a set of Brownells screw drivers.

I have a dremel with consider that next. Thanks

Thanks for the info. I tried the rubber band method did not work. Will try to hammer down a screw bit. I have a set of Brownells screw drivers.

I have a dremel with consider that next. Thanks
Just be careful with the dremel, don't mar the frame if you can avoid it.

You got it out. Good job. It appears that it is the slot in the screw that is stripped. You need a properly fitted hollow ground tipped screwdriver for working on these often soft screws in these Italian replica revolvers.

You are going to need a good penetrating oil such as Kroil, Aerokroil, P'Blaster, Liquid Wrench among others to soak that screw. You will need to wait several days up to a week or two for the oils to penetrate. Reapply the penetrating oil often. This soaking will be required for both that bolt spring screw and the nipples. Put them in your freezer for a day after the soaking.

Get a good nipple wrench sized for your revolver nipples such as this one from Track of the Wolf.
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/160/1/NW-140
You will need to get a dowel rod that slips into the mouth of the cylinder. You need two lengths about 5" long and a sturdy vise. Put the dowel rods into opposing cylinders and clamp the dowel rods in the vise. Put your nipple wrench on the nipple and using a small hammer tap and turn. The nipples should come loose. You may need some heat on the nipples. Good luck.

Thanks for the advise on the dowel rods. I was able to remove 3 of the nipples, 3 to go. I pretty much ruined my nipple wrench. I ordered the ted cash wrench. Cylinder currently sitting in a pool of Kroil.

Get a 1/4" drive socket. I think some guys use a 5mm or 6mm socket. Grind a slot as wide as the sides of the nipple and use it to remove those stubborn nipples. I had to mount mine in a drill press and used downward presser on the press and turned the chuck by hand to get out some badly stuck nipples on a used revolver i bought.

Get a 1/4" drive socket. I think some guys use a 5mm or 6mm socket. Grind a slot as wide as the sides of the nipple and use it to remove those stubborn nipples. I had to mount mine in a drill press and used downward presser on the press and turned the chuck by hand to get out some badly stuck nipples on a used revolver i bought.
5 mm or 5/16" will work to reach into the revolver nipple seats. I made one from a hex drive socket and used a hex drive impact driver. Mustn't have been all that well received as the small impact drivers are hard to find.

Impact Tool.JPG

You got it out. Good job. It appears that it is the slot in the screw that is stripped. You need a properly fitted hollow ground tipped screwdriver for working on these often soft screws in these Italian replica revolvers.

You are going to need a good penetrating oil such as Kroil, Aerokroil, P'Blaster, Liquid Wrench among others to soak that screw. You will need to wait several days up to a week or two for the oils to penetrate. Reapply the penetrating oil often. This soaking will be required for both that bolt spring screw and the nipples. Put them in your freezer for a day after the soaking.

Get a good nipple wrench sized for your revolver nipples such as this one from Track of the Wolf.
You will need to get a dowel rod that slips into the mouth of the cylinder. You need two lengths about 5" long and a sturdy vise. Put the dowel rods into opposing cylinders and clamp the dowel rods in the vise. Put your nipple wrench on the nipple and using a small hammer tap and turn. The nipples should come loose. You may need some heat on the nipples. Good luck.

Got a dowel and 5mm socket. Was able to remove another nipple, 2 more to go. Going to let the others soak for a couple more days, it looks like the raised area of nipple that rides on the wrench is starting to strip. Will probably wait until the Cash wrench arrives on Tuesday to give another try.

Just in case i cannot remove the nipples... Will todays Uberti 1851 cylinder work in a 2010 1861? Gotta keep my options open.

Putting them in the freezer is an interesting idea. What does it do?

When you put the metal cylinder or other parts in the freezer, the metal contracts. Sometimes that changes the contact with the corrosion and the penetrating oil can work. When the parts are brought back to room temperature, they expand also breaking the contact with the other parts.

Back