• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Striping a Pedersoli wood finish?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
3155FAEE-5E24-4D77-A63E-361DE01F61B9.jpeg

Edit: Don’t know why I used Pedersoli in the title...should have said Uberti.

Bought a new Uberti 1860 Army with full fluted cylinder since, well, if we are all going to die I wanted one. And I have plenty of time to shoot and work in my shop.

Decided to strip the poly finish off the stocks and give it an oil finish.

I have always used oven cleaner to good effect stripping poly and oil finishes. So I sprayed it on this and came back 10 min later to wash it off...and the grips just laughed at me. No effect at all.

What is this finish? I’m pretty impressed. Any ideas on how to get it off?

Photo is post treatment.

Last edited:
View attachment 26811

Bought a new 1860 Army with full fluted cylinder since, well, if we are all going to die I wanted one. And I have plenty of time to shoot and work in my shop.

Decided to strip the poly finish off the stocks and give it an oil finish.

I have always used oven cleaner to good effect stripping poly and oil finishes. So I sprayed it on this and came back 10 min later to wash it off...and the grips just laughed at me. No effect at all.

What is this finish? I’m pretty impressed. Any ideas on how to get it off?

Photo is post treatment.

Dang! That’s some tough stuff! Very impressive. But I’m not a fan of the glossy finish either, no idea what will work but I’ll be watching, I’ve got an Uberti which needs this too. Don’t die before you finish ok?

Sounds like an excellent finish, leave it alone. Scotchbrite or steel wool with automotive rubbing compound and windex will take the gloss off. I'd bet a bunch that original Colts were varnished at the factory and came with a gloss finish.

Wow. There is a great piece of wood under all that plastic and red varnish.

Used the citrus stripper and it turned the finish to a crusty consistency that I could scrape off with a paper towel and an old credit card.

Once I got it cleaned up I wiped it down with mineral spirits and took the pics here. Will let it dry and oil finish it tomorrow.

Attachments

• AC60C1C3-6F47-4726-91C0-DC9C6FF3DA1B.jpeg
    AC60C1C3-6F47-4726-91C0-DC9C6FF3DA1B.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 19D84A15-BE64-4CC9-933E-8B645D2B2B3C.jpeg
    19D84A15-BE64-4CC9-933E-8B645D2B2B3C.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 62
  • DF1A199E-43BD-49D6-8ABB-3BA901B15DF3.jpeg
    DF1A199E-43BD-49D6-8ABB-3BA901B15DF3.jpeg
    74.8 KB · Views: 57
Back