• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Strange vent hole in percussion shotgun by Stevens of London

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironoxide

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone say why some of the antique muzzleloaders have those vent holes as shown on the picture below? Some may be a remnant of a past flintlock conversion, but when a whole breech is replaced, why make a hole like this in the new one? Is this to lower breech pressure?

Could someone shed more light on this and point me in the direction of some books/texts that talk more about how a decision was made to make those vent holes or not in the past, please? Was this common thing?

Also, I see guns like this popping up for sale at pretty low prices. How much hassle are those little holes when shooting? Can they sting someone standing at the side of someone firing a gun next to a person?

This is a picture of one:
hole.png

Those little holes are a design feature with the intent to speed the rate that the heat from the percussion cap gets to the main charge. There is anecdotal evidence that ignition is improved. The little hole can be blocked by fouling when the bore is wiped between shots. The flash through the relief ho,e is no worse or distracting than the flash from the touch hole on a flint lock. That relief innovation seems to be common on better quality British shotguns and rifles. The relief vent is uncommon on American rifles and shotguns.

Hot Shot nipples have the relief vent drilled in the cone of the nipple to create a hotter jet of flame to better ignite the substitute powders.

There is a long thread with lots of debate on this subject on the forum. Someone may post a link to that topic.

When the percussion cap explodes the flame front from the cap compresses the air ahead of the front, possibly preventing the flame from reaching the main charge. The little hole relieves that pressure and makes the gun more sure-fire. At least that was the rational. As Grenadier said it is prevalent on high end British guns. Yes, someone standing to the side can be stung by the blow-out from the vent.

Not strange - very common on high quality early British Percussion shotguns..

Hi,

Can anyone say why some of the antique muzzleloaders have those vent holes as shown on the picture below? Some may be a remnant of a past flintlock conversion, but when a whole breech is replaced, why make a hole like this in the new one? Is this to lower breech pressure?

Could someone shed more light on this and point me in the direction of some books/texts that talk more about how a decision was made to make those vent holes or not in the past, please? Was this common thing?

Also, I see guns like this popping up for sale at pretty low prices. How much hassle are those little holes when shooting? Can they sting someone standing at the side of someone firing a gun next to a person?

This is a picture of one:
View attachment 14335
They might sting a neighboring shooter. I often shoot alone so for safety sake you should probably send any such pieces to me... Why do I never see them popping up at low prices?

That hole also allows the flash channel to blow clear after each shot. My wife had a percussion rifle that tended to clog up the flash channel. I put a 1/16" hole in the clean out screw on the bolster and ended that particular problem

Latest posts

Back