• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

strange smell inside of copper pots?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just got several items that I had ordered that are copper with tinned lining. Even after rinsing with fresh water several times a strong chemical odor was present on the inside of both pots. A drop of dish detergent and more rinsing still didn't diminish the smell very much so I boiled water in both, rinsed and finally no smell. These are handmade, copper with brass bales and tinned interiors with lead free solder. I suppose the flux could have left such a chemical odor but even after dish soap and water the smell remained and only additional boiling water removed it. Neither the plate nor the wash pan that were also included in my order had this, however the plate is straight tinned steel the wash pan is stainless but also has a soldered bottom.

Any thoughts on what caused this somewhat noxious odor? If I had not washed and boiled the two pots and had cooked a meal or made a pot of coffee I think I might have been bad off, or am I thinking too much?

Just for the sake of clarity, these items were made by a well known tinsmith and I'm not calling into question his skills or complaining about the workmanship; those are topnotch if a little moderately priced. I'm not here to bash the maker and that's why I've purposely left the name of his shop out of the info I've posted herein. I understand you get what you pay for and I learned the difference between a made in India tin cup and authentic handmade copperware/tinware a while ago. My curiosity has been piqued by the lingering chemical smell that wouldn't go away until two washing with soap and then boiling. Neither the stainless steel wash basin nor the tinned dinner plate had this odor and it seemed to be only on the inside of the two pots, which are both tinned even though they are primarily of copper. Yes, I know that I didn't need to have this done but I thought it looked nice and would add to the durability somewhat, if indeed I ever get to use any of this gear outside my home.

Bull,

Glad to hear you're "up and around". :grin:

The items were tinned... and tin rusts... and these guys schlep these items from show to show, event to event..., displaying them in tents, so humidity is a factor... and folks don't want to buy items with rust inside, nor needing polish outside, so copper and tin items are polished and kept shiney inside and out...

So I'm bettin' it was a rust preventative or some sort of liquid tarnish remover/inhibitor.

And yes, you might have gotten some gastro-intestinal distress if you hadn't cleaned them out good.

Of course, when I get a cooking item that I find at a yard sale...I have no idea if the item was ever used, nor for what it may have been used... maybe it was used to make tea... maybe the owner degreased engine parts in it??? :shocked2:

LD

Rifleman1776 said:
copper with tinned lining

Are you certain the tin is really tin and not possibly zinc galvanizing?
I would be concerned. I have a copper large cup/mug not lined and use it for everything except acidic liquids. e.g. orange juice, milk, etc.
No, it's real tin. The pots are copper and are tin lined, in fact even the inside of the tops to each pot is tinned. The only thing that could eventually rust is the dinner plate which is actually mild steel plate that has been hammered into shape and then dipped in hot tin. The wash basin is stainless because that was the last one in his inventory and I don't think he's going to be offering that option any longer plus it was the one thing that I didn't want to have to worry about and could neglect a bit when in camp.

Have you asked the pot maker about the smell?
You could try setting it in direct sunlight for several days, or cooking something sacraficial in it.

I wonder if you were just smelling the outside copper. Copper has an odor I recognize. Silver too. Maybe the boiling drove the easily removed radicals away...

colorado clyde said:
I just hope it wasn't a chamber pot :shocked2:
LOL! Nope, not a chamber pot. The maker got back to me and said that it was probably left over polish that he uses in the last step shortly before packing it up and shipping it out. He also said that it might also be the flux he uses when he coats the interior with tin solder. Either way, everything is quality work and it will all most likely outlast me by a few generations.

Latest posts

Back