• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Strange rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just saw a custom halfstock rifle, nicely made, that is unlike any I have seen before. Instead of having a drum and nipple, or a patent breech, the nipple is screwed directly into the slanted flat of the octagon barrel, just about where the breechplug ends. The otherwise normal percussion lock has the hammer bent over to the left, so that the hammer impacts the nipple in the barrel. Very neatly done and probably works well. Why it was done this way I can't guess. No pictures but you can search a certain well-known gun auction site and search on "D Bowman" to see good views of this rifle.

Not a mules ear and just exactly as described!

1675726286851.png

1675726371479.png

1675726478726.png

That looks like a very practical way to do it. The shorter you can make the flash channel the better.

I have made under hammer and side hammer guns with the nipple screwed into the side of the barrel. The reliability of these guns is much better than guns with a drum or chambered breech and snail. The lock time is also faster.

In late 1800s the Springfield Armory converted many Flint lock muskets to percussion in that manner. The one shown is a mod 1816 converted in1848 this was an armory conversion.

Attachments

• Flint lock conversion.JPG
    Flint lock conversion.JPG
    9.7 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back