• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Straight Rifling?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would think straight rifling would prevent a projectile from yawing inside the bore.

Balls, even patched balls, won't leave the muzzle the same way every time.

A projectile running along straight rifling would be running on tracks. Allowing the projectile to exit the same way each and every time.

As mentioned above, straight rifling does not stabilize a ball and was probably thought to allow more shooting by handling fowling. I have an original jaeger boar gun with straight rifling.

Straight rifling was a thing then it went out of favor. Like flintlocks I guess. It will come back for those who want something different to play with.

I have read a hypothesis that rifleing spinning a ball was an accident
The story goes like this. Straight rifle groves were added to catch fouling. By twisting the grooves there was more surface area to catch the fouling. And whoops the gun shot straight

tenngun is correct. IIRC it was the Germans who after dealing with smoothbore fouling reasoned that adding straight grooves to the barrel would be able to collect more fouling before needing swabbed. By spiraling the grooves they discovered they went from the equivalent of a shot put to a baseball.

More likley the arrows that have some spinning motion caused by the flights . But who cares no one going to be in a rush to have made straight rifled barrels . At least I wouldn't think so. .
Regards Strait & definatly not twisted
Rudyard

Your all wrong!

Do not assume a ball from a smoothbore is not going to rotate some, it will.

Any drag disproportional on one side will induce some form of tumbling.
Straight rifling prevents thus.

Straight rifled choke tubes are or were available for modern shotguns for the same reason .

Back