• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Straight rifling

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Col. Batguano

75 Cal.
Reaction score
Because rifling originally came about to make loading easier in smooth bores, as it originally existed it was straight. Then someone figured out that if it was spiraled, it would also aid ball stabilization and accuracy.

But the original purpose was to make loading a fouled bore easier. We've all read dozens of posts from guys that have tried to shoot shot through a rifled barrel, and for the most part, the results are unsatisfactory. But does anyone have a straight-rifled gun that they use for shot? If so, how do you find the results?

Because of the nature of the question I wasn't sure whether this was a "General ML'ing" question or, one for "Smoothbores".

Years ago I got to shoot a modern not to be mentioned. They have a straight rifled barrel, 12 gauge I believe, and screw in choke. At the time I had another unmentionable, which was also a 12 gauge, but a regular smooth bore, and jug choke. Patterns were a wash between them, both were equally impressive at 50 yards for turkey hunting. I did not notice the straight rifling of the unmentionable, making it easier to load at all. I actually had to unscrew the super tight turkey choke to load it. My smooth bore unmentionable on the other hand, with jug choke, loaded with no fuss.

I've heard that theory before, but I have to say I'm skeptical. I'm almost always using a tighter load in a rifle, than I am in a smooth bore, but the smooth bore sure loads easier than the rifle. I don't see how rifling could help made loading easier at all.

Anyway, to answer your question, a straight rifled barrel shoot shot great. At least as good as a smooth bore, and some claim even better.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be interesting to find a resource that confirms it was for ease of loading.
I doubt it was for that reason personally.
I have always understood that for what ever reason a very slight and possibly inconsistent rotational torque can become on the travelling shot and wad column. Straight rifling stops that.
I know Spence has provided references to straight rifled guns....I think 🤔.

Latest posts

Back