• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Straight barrel weights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GANGGREEN

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I thought I had saved a weight chart for straight barrels, but can't find it. Rice has a chart listing all of the swamped barrel weights, but I can't find one on their site or Colerain's. Can anyone tell me what a 7/8" 42" .45 barrel would weigh?

I think Track of the Wolf might have that information, but I can't get on their website now for some reason. I'm going to check my old Dixie Gun Works catalog as well, I'll bet it's in there too.

Just checked Dixie and if my calculations are right, a straight .44 barrel would be 5.775 pounds at 42" (they only list .44 and .46 but not .45). That's a bit heavier than I thought. I'm considering trading for a rifle, but I tend to favor very trim, lightweight rifles. I'll have to give it some thought and if I'm wrong, I'd appreciate if anyone could give me the actual weight for a .45 barrel 7/8" barrel.

My old #16, Track of the Wolf catalog that shows Green Mountain straight octagon barrels says a 7/8 octagon, .45 caliber barrel 42" long weighs 5.50 pounds.

My calculations say a 42" long barrel in this size would weigh, 5.648 pounds. (I used a density of .283 pounds/cubic inch. for the steel).
The difference between my calculations and the Green Mountain weight is probably because I didn't subtract the material removed by the 5/8" breech thread from my answer. My answer is for a barrel without the thread.)

I generally figure to add 3.5 pounds to barrel weight to guesstimate final gun weight. Of course with something with huge castings and lock like a Bess it would be more.

Latest posts

Back