• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

stove pipe inserts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chevythunderman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone sewn a insert into there tent themselves? If so what do you use and what materials do you stitch it in with? I have a 12x12 panther primitives pyramid and am wanting to install a wood stove for the cold months instead of cheating with a propane heater. Also where do most place the insert in the tent on a pyramid anyways (other than in the walls) I know i'll get a couple responses regarding that set up lol.

That will be shipping charges going and coming, if that is of any concern, but also, PP will not do it if the material is not fire resistant rated.

For the weight of this tent and shipping charges that would be close to $100 plus the cost of the item would put it close to $200 at that price I'll continue to cheat with my little buddy heater. Plus with the age of my tent the fire proofing would not be any good any more anyway so i'll continue with the little heater. I just thought you could buy the insert and sew it in place....

'afternoon,

A lot depends on the material and the machine. I had a buddy accidentally start a fire on my brand new wedge tent, resulting in a hole. Tent was the 10.38 oz Sunforger, and the total patch size was going to be about the size of a sheet of paper (allowing generous overlap and "squaring" the patch off). Since it was right near the bottom edge, I did it myself, using a generic (non-commercial quality) machine and regular weight polycore thread. I didn't have to cross any existing seams, and I patched it with the same weight canvas.

It was not fun, and the machine was straining. I ran two seams at the edge of the patch, and one (possibly two, I don't remember) that were at the edge of the hole. It's held up well, and most folks don't even see the patch unless I point it out.

If you're going to put the insert further "in", you're going to have to either hand sew it, or make sure that the machine has the clearance to allow you to work as far in as you want (canvas is bulky). I'd also use at least a heavier machine - I now have one rated for light leather, but haven't had to try it on tent weight canvas.

Hope that helps,
Calum

Travis B said:
I'll continue to cheat with my little buddy heater.
Me too. I go to Rendezvous to participate in some of the events, share good food and good times with friends.
I don't do specific hard core historically accurate juried events.
I've done the wood stove thing,,
I like my buddy heater inside the tent unseen and the tank outside covered with canvas, unseen.

Wick Ellerbe said:
Exactly. Plus, wood burning stoves in tents during the 18th c. is not very HC anyway.
Agreed! But it sure keeps the Lady happy, so I'll continue to bring the stove. :grin:

My A frame came with a fiberglass insert for 3" pipes and I have a not so period stove. its an M1958 stove wood / fuel burner for GP medium tents. I have the grating for burning wood but not the stuff for burning diesel fuel(which I wouldn't do anyway). I fixed up mine where I can have a coffee pot going and still cook on it and made a door in the front to feed it instead of through the top.. It does well keeping the cold out.

I'm with you on this. I'm not really into the whole judging thing. I've never camped in my tent below 32 degrees yet and the heater did real well at that temp. Was thinking of doing some winter rendezvous this year and was thinking that it wouldn't be able to keep up with it being in the teens. But I think if I do go i'll just bring some extra blankets and call it good. Thanks everyone for all the good info.

There is a precedent for heaters in tents, however the period heater was most likely a brazier filled with coals.

Black Hand said:
There is a precedent for heaters in tents, however the period heater was most likely a brazier filled with coals.
That's a great way to die of carbon monoxide poisoning.....That very thing happened to some boy scouts not all that long ago.... :td:

Always have your fire vented to the outside.....

colorado clyde said:
Black Hand said:
That's a great way to die of carbon monoxide poisoning.....That very thing happened to some boy scouts not all that long ago.... :td:

Always have your fire vented to the outside.....
With all due respect, even propane heaters create Carbon Monoxide and they are not vented to the outside. Some come with integral CO sensors while others do not.

Check out canvascamps.us, look under stoves and accessories. There are several types of bolt on stove pipe vents. Most are for their stove which takes a much smaller pipe. Maybe worth a call to them and inquire.There is a you tube video showing a guy laying out and cutting/mounting to a tent.(That's where I first saw it) For sure not PC/HC. I'm considering the set up for my Springbar canvas tent. I'm not in the least bit concerned about being judged. I hunt out of my tent and have finally decided to give up wet propane for dry wood heat. Good luck.

I've got a vague idea of what a stove pipe collar might look like. A hard collar made of heat resistant material on both inside and outside of the tent.

Were I going to do one, I'd epoxy that bad boy down...no sewing at all.

Of course this may not work at all. Just an idea.

Gene L said:
Were I going to do one, I'd epoxy that bad boy down...no sewing at all.
Only one issue - standard epoxy doesn't resist heat well at all.

The stove insert I have in my tent is a square of flexible, heat-resistant material with a hole for the pipe.

Back