• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Storing led round balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found some rbs that are old with lots of corrosion and I know the health risks,I was wondering how to store without them getting the corrosion?

Is that white corrosion on the lead a bad thing?
It is definitely a bad thing. Someone on the forum once asked about cleaning them with vinegar. That makes lead acetate, a sweet tasting compound that is highly toxic. It is also called sugar of lead and was the drying agent in paint until it was banned.

The corrosion is lead oxide. Will not affect the lead ball, but handling the balls with lead oxide on them is not a good idea due to the poisonous nature of lead. As was stated in previous posts, just put the corroded balls in a shallow pan, and spray them with WD-40.

Ok. So I have like 20 or so 54 cal maxi balls from like 40 years ago when I had an Italian replica 1863 Sharps. Whats the best thing to do with them? I am thinking toss them? I currently have an 1863 in 45 and 50 calibers. Even if I had plans to get a 54 cal it wouldn't be soon. I would have to find one and am not presently looking. So should I just keep them?

Coat them with some kind of oil and keep them or shoot them.

The oil will keep the powdery lead oxide from becoming airborne so the only thing that it will contaminate is your fingers when you handle the balls/bullets.
Then remember to wash your hands before handling any food or smoking something. It goes without saying, also don't stick your fingers in your mouth before washing.

With the price of balls/bullets being what it is today, it would be foolish to throw them away simply because they have a bit of corrosion on them.

I keep them stored in boxes with plastic bag or in metal/plastic coffee cans with lid on. I have some without lids and just stuff a plastic shopping bag in there and works great.

I keep balls in plastic baggies. I squeeze all the air out before zipping it. If i'm trying to be PC I have a leather ball bag.

Latest posts

Back