• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Storing flintlocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is it best when your rifle is going to sit for a while to have the hammer sitting in the "all the way forward" fired position? What is best for the lock parts, springs, sear etc. or leave it at half cock.

I leave the hammer in the fully forward(uncocked) position, and the frizzen open.
F8404FFE-0BEC-4DF3-BB0C-EBDBEA1E6F5C.jpeg

I do the same. It might not matter much in the short run but keeping the springs stressed can cause problems down the road.

I agree and keep the cock & steel at rest though George Shumway said they where displayed in museums at half bent . per original plan but I don't agree as it makes sense to leave the springs at rest & cant hurt any that way. Nice Rifle pictured .
Rudyard

I agree and keep the cock & steel at rest though George Shumway said they where displayed in museums at half bent . per original plan but I don't agree as it makes sense to leave the springs at rest & cant hurt any that way. Nice Rifle pictured .
Rudyard
That is museums for display purposes. For real use rifle, all the way down. That is how I do it to take stress off sear and mainspring.

Hammer down, frizzen in the open position. I have stored all my flint rifles this way for a long, long time with no problem. I started this practice about 40 years ago and have had no problems with any springs.
I know this thread is about flintlocks, but I keep the hammer down on caplocks too.

Back