• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

storing black powder in powder horn and/or flask

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
as someone new to flintlocks i like to shoot as often as i can and as the time to do so is limited and on the spur of the moment i wondering how long is too long to keep black powder stored in a powder horn or flask. your input will be appreciated. thanks in advance

Is your horn air tight? If not the powder will absorb moisture and potentially clog up the spout making it difficult to pour powder. One solution to this is shoot more and rotate the powder! Flask i do not think it is as big an issue, but can be.

If your powder horn is airtight, and it should be, powder can be stored in it indefinitely. Black powder doesn't really have an expiration date, but it can get spoiled by moisture or other contaminants.

Horn is really an ideal material for a powder container. It is waterproof and dimensionally stable, non-sparking, and it doesn't "sweat" like metal does with rapid changes in temperature. Horn is susceptible to insect damage, but in my experience, horns with black powder in them seem less attractive to bugs. I think the sulphur in the powder must repel them, to some extent.

Flasks are another matter. They do sweat with rapid temperature change, and I don't think flasks with valved tops can be made really airtight. However, if a metal flask with powder in it is stored in a climate-controlled environment, the powder ought to keep for quite a while. I have a couple of flasks and normally don't empty them out after shooting, but I do store the flasks in airtight containers. A ziplock bag works, especially if you keep a desiccant pouch in it.

I think you should be able to keep some powder in your horn. I think it was customary for old-timers to keep a rifle, pouch, and horn hanging over the cabin door, ready to go, so they could grab everything they needed in a hurry.

And, of course, old Rover was stationed under the front porch, so he could be right at the master's heel as they lit out for the woods...

Notchy Bob

So some real world examples to back up Notchy Bob here!

Living and shooting (often) in Florida, I have a couple traditional horns that have always had powder in them for several years. They get left in the garage frequently. Never once had a problem with the powder clumping up. The powder flows smooth every time.

As for the flask.... Have two of them. I USED to keep powder in them. but the powder clumped badly in both and after emptying the flasks, there was a rough powder coating stuck to the interior walls of the flask a grain or two thick. So they now get filled the day I use them and emptied the same day.

thank you all for the input.
Notchy Bob was right about sulfer repelling insects....i always dust myself with sulfer sublimed powder when i am working in the bushes and weeds....works great keeping the no see ums off me. one has to make sure that one isnt allergic to it and doesent mind smelling a bit like a burnt match.
again thank you all for the input.

I have kept powder in my boy's horn for years with no problems. Since he moved to Missouri he seldom gets back to shoot. My flask has a brass valve on the top and I have never had any problems with it either, when left for a few months from December into March.

I have kept powder in my boy's horn for years with no problems. Since he moved to Missouri he seldom gets back to shoot. My flask has a brass valve on the top and I have never had any problems with it either, when left for a few months from December into March.
thats good to knowif you dont mind my asking what sort of valve do you have on the horn?

If the powder is stored in a cool dry place you will not have problems, even if the lid isn't air tight. It's when you store it in a place like an unheated/uninsulated garage where temperature and humidity swings can be severe, that you will have issues.

If the powder is stored in a cool dry place you will not have problems, even if the lid isn't air tight. It's when you store it in a place like an unheated/uninsulated garage where temperature and humidity swings can be severe, that you will have issues.
I make wax paper powder charge for my shotguns and they stay good for years as long as they are inside in the garage.I will make up several when I am making them, and only take out what I plan on using that day when hunting.I doubt that the wax paper and kite string are water proof but the wax paper makes it easy to tell the powder charges from the newspaper shot cartridges. But then my garage upstairs is heated.

i just found a powder horn i made and filled 25 years ago. it was left in the wife's canning shed out back. this was filled with my home brew fffg without any graphite even. i fired 21 shots in Zonie's memory yesterday with it. had to replace the leather lace because the mice had eaten it to a stub, but no damage to the horn.
the powder worked like it was made yesterday.

There was an old old hardware store near me years ago you know the kind with the creaking wooden Flores and stuff every ware hap hazard, and they sold black powder and even dynamite in the 1920’s but what I am getting at is we all know back in the day Black powder came in casks and what he told me was his great grandfather sold powder straight out of the cask into cotton bags when you needed a pound or 1/2 pound .I guess just don’t let your bag get wet or you would wind up with a block of coal. Ha Ha.. pretty cool some of the old story’s that you here from days gone by.

i just found a powder horn i made and filled 25 years ago. it was left in the wife's canning shed out back. this was filled with my home brew fffg without any graphite even. i fired 21 shots in Zonie's memory yesterday with it. had to replace the leather lace because the mice had eaten it to a stub, but no damage to the horn.
the powder worked like it was made yesterday.
how very cool.you are making things seem very promising....thanks and i am sure Zonie is smilin

There was an old old hardware store near me years ago you know the kind with the creaking wooden Flores and stuff every ware hap hazard, and they sold black powder and even dynamite in the 1920’s but what I am getting at is we all know back in the day Black powder came in casks and what he told me was his great grandfather sold powder straight out of the cask into cotton bags when you needed a pound or 1/2 pound .I guess just don’t let your bag get wet or you would wind up with a block of coal. Ha Ha.. pretty cool some of the old story’s that you here from days gone by.
i had a store like that in my home town...use to buy 22's for my first gun there they had traps hangin from the rafters wish they were still around

Howdy:
I've got a full home made horn of 2FF from 1977, still flashes just fine! I keep the horn in a cool dry environment. NO clumping, powder flows like water. I'm sure it'll stay that way for another 44 years, Good Lord willing.
God bless:
Two Feathers
you may have the special touch

I have never had any issues with ffffg in a brass flask nor ffg in a horn. I never empty either. Only fill when needed. No clumping.

Back