• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Storage unit find, 1812 with lion. Soviet?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reproduction or antique?

• Antique

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reproduction

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters

squatch

Pilgrim
Reaction score
2B9EA9E2-3AC4-4083-AD68-54C4A895F8A2.jpeg
9459E6AA-E06D-477B-9032-D1B77BC41B1C.jpeg
9459E6AA-E06D-477B-9032-D1B77BC41B1C.jpeg
E0C2B857-661D-460C-8AEB-43930A1C516D.jpeg
sister bought a storage unit off a world traveler and this flintlock showed up. He claimed it was a soviet build which I though was odd because of the lion marking. Seemed like an English thing. Also is ornately inlaid with mother of pearl. Made me wonder if it was a bring back from Afghanistan as the guy was also a veteran. Wood and patina definitely seem older from the pictures. Any idea of what make and what the value might be? Thanks!

"A wall hanger or decorative piece and not a real gun. Probably made in the middle east for the tourist trade."

Not necessarily---Decorated firearms like this were often carried as "status symbols" by North African and Mid-eastern tribesmen right up until the 1960s when replaced by AK47s. Most were rarely if ever fired. It is true that these began showing up in the tourist trade in the 1920s and before as tribal chieftains traded up to something more modern. Some Turkish flintlocks are marked with a rampant lion, so the piece may be Ottoman in origin. The crudity of the finish on the lock does not fit with the inlay detail. The gun could also be made up from parts, some original and some to complete the "gun" for sale to an unsuspecting tourist.

"A wall hanger or decorative piece and not a real gun. Probably made in the middle east for the tourist trade."

Not necessarily---Decorated firearms like this were often carried as "status symbols" by North African and Mid-eastern tribesmen right up until the 1960s when replaced by AK47s. Most were rarely if ever fired. It is true that these began showing up in the tourist trade in the 1920s and before as tribal chieftains traded up to something more modern. Some Turkish flintlocks are marked with a rampant lion, so the piece may be Ottoman in origin. The crudity of the finish on the lock does not fit with the inlay detail. The gun could also be made up from parts, some original and some to complete the "gun" for sale to an unsuspecting tourist.

I second this.

This pistol is a tourist gun. I have one almost identical. While the lock will function some what, they were never made to fire. The barrels are either shaped pipe, or in this case it looks like a one piece casting similar to others. These are still being made today in Afghanistan and elsewhere.

Rick
image.JPG

The lion was a stamp usually applied to the lockplate of firearms belonging to the East India company. However, I'm astounded that anybody could confuse this toy with a genuine, made-to-shoot firearm. It has the appearance of being 'finished', if that's the word, with a wood rasp.

And for what it's worth, the word 'Soviet' stems from the early part of the last century, and is usually applied to the former USSR - Soviet Russia. The implied connection between this item and the former USSR is something I don't understand. THEIR symbol was the hammet and sickle.

"I'm astounded that anybody could confuse this toy with a genuine, made-to-shoot firearm. It has the appearance of being 'finished', if that's the word, with a wood rasp."

:thumbs up::thumbs up::ThankYou:

You don't think it looks a bit icky as a stamp rather than an engraving?

It was a stamp originally - https://www.andrewbottomley.com/x-x...dated-1813-good-condition-ref-9466-3250-p.asp And yes, I KNOW that Mr Bottomley stated that it was engraved, but I also have been advised by a serious collector that it was stamped. Mr Bottomley SELLS guns like this, my source MAKES guns like this.

However, I bow to your greater expertise on the matter, since it's a matter of no consequence whatsoever to a poverty-stricken old person like me who couldn't afford the flint, let alone the lock, stock and barrel that goes with it.

Latest posts

Back