• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Storage of BP

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I store mine in the chicken house. No electric or heat sources. For daily use I just keep mine in the origonal cans in the shop. As long as it is kept dry, not exposed to heat over 150 degrees F, it will keep forever. I am always suprised by people who worry about storing black powder which stays where you put it. But do't worry about paint thinner, lacqour thinner, etc which will evaporate and spread out and is just as explosive.
Good Lord-did you even ask the chickens?

I keep it in the factory plastic containers in a wood box in the front corner of my attached garage. Is it perfect, no. But no in the house storage is perfect.

While I have not read this report entirely, I can say that at least it introduces some genuine science to some of the "discussions" here. Since I haven't read it completely, I'm not sure what all the lessons in it are, or what reasonable conclusions are to be drawn from it. Nonetheless, it does rise above the level of mere opinion, stubborn belief, and outright speculation. I doubt that many readers of this thread will take the time to read and understand it, because that would be too much like work (or school), but it does have a few nice pictures in it. :) Anyway, here it is, and perhaps it will serve to focus debate on some genuine facts and actual tests. Perhaps.

The Introduction does mention prior studies and appears to indicate that the decision to endorse/require the use of wooden boxes was made prior to this study. I haven't tried to track down that research, but may attempt it when I get the time. And (since I haven't read the details yet), I don't know if this study ends up addressing the preference for wooding storage boxes over others.

Response of small-scale blackpowder storage in partitioned wooden boxes to external fire
Good Grief! that was like reading a legal brief.
only a .gov would waste good firewood and powder like that.

How much powder can you have in your possession in Upstate NYS?
Five pounds. And it must be stored in original containers or horns, with those in a wood box with walls at least 1/2" thick, painted red, marked "LOW EX" in white or yellow letters 4" high. Said box can only be stored on the ground floor or in the basement, within ten feet of an exterior entry.

While I have not read this report entirely, I can say that at least it introduces some genuine science to some of the "discussions" here. Since I haven't read it completely, I'm not sure what all the lessons in it are, or what reasonable conclusions are to be drawn from it. Nonetheless, it does rise above the level of mere opinion, stubborn belief, and outright speculation. I doubt that many readers of this thread will take the time to read and understand it, because that would be too much like work (or school), but it does have a few nice pictures in it. :) Anyway, here it is, and perhaps it will serve to focus debate on some genuine facts and actual tests. Perhaps.

The Introduction does mention prior studies and appears to indicate that the decision to endorse/require the use of wooden boxes was made prior to this study. I haven't tried to track down that research, but may attempt it when I get the time. And (since I haven't read the details yet), I don't know if this study ends up addressing the preference for wooding storage boxes over others.

Response of small-scale blackpowder storage in partitioned wooden boxes to external fire
Interesting report. The experiment involved placing the box on a bonfire of stacked pallets, though, conditions not often found in house fires.

Interesting report. The experiment involved placing the box on a bonfire of stacked pallets, though, conditions not often found in house fires.
I'm not entirely sure of that around here -- but I would guess it's true where the experiment was done in England. 😂

I've used an old refrigerator (motor removed) for years. Fireproof and keeps temps and humidity fairly level. It's kept in a small storage shed.
Read the BATFE rules for explosives storage, it cannot be stored in an occupied space, must be in original container, must be stored in a BATFE approved magazine. Those are facts.
Good Idea !

One thing to consider: if you have a "mishap" (fire or accident) that involves your powder, whether or not it's stored in a manner the manufacturers and laws proscribe can affect your insurance claim and any civil or criminal responsibility you may have.

Five pounds. And it must be stored in original containers or horns, with those in a wood box with walls at least 1/2" thick, painted red, marked "LOW EX" in white or yellow letters 4" high. Said box can only be stored on the ground floor or in the basement, within ten feet of an exterior entry.
BTW Midcoast Maine is my favorite place…spent 25+ years visiting Damariscotta at LakeHurst Camps.

Back