Storage in Southern States

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Woody Morgan

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
What is this "humidity" you speak of?
I live between the California Central Valley and the Mojave Desert.
We can leave corn chips open on the counter for a month without them going stale.
We're more concerned about our supply of moisturizing cream than anything else.

wm

Davey Boy

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
My wife and I are making the move south to SC. Up here in NY I really don't have to deal with too much humidity and since my BP rifles don't fit into my gun safe, I store them next to it in my "sports closet" as my wife calls it.
My question, is storage harder down there with a much longer humid period? How do you folks do it? Any input on this would be GREATLY appreciated. Joe
I should imagine South Carolina is near as bad as Florida. I would die of brain failure without air conditioning. All my iron stuff in the house has no problem with rust because we have nice air inside.

My machine shop shed is open to snakes and bugs year round. The metal can sweat and get rusty but the lightest cost of oil of any kind keeps them rust free. Fluid Film is my favorite for gun protection. Learned that from living in Maine where the constant cold, damp, salt laiden air will rust a gun overnight not to mention degrade your brain to repeating ayuh at every opportunity.

GANGGREEN

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Don't have an answer to your question about humidity and storage, but where are you moving? My wife and I have been looking for a seasonal retirement home in "upstate", probably Oconee or Pickens Counties. The real estate market is super hot there right now and we may cool our jets and wait a bit to see if the bubble doesn't burst soon before pulling the trigger on a place though. (I see that the original post was made more than a year ago, didn't realize it was such an old thread, but I'm still curious where you settled and how you're liking it).

Last edited: