• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Storage in Southern States

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should imagine South Carolina is near as bad as Florida. I would die of brain failure without air conditioning. All my iron stuff in the house has no problem with rust because we have nice air inside.

My machine shop shed is open to snakes and bugs year round. The metal can sweat and get rusty but the lightest cost of oil of any kind keeps them rust free. Fluid Film is my favorite for gun protection. Learned that from living in Maine where the constant cold, damp, salt laiden air will rust a gun overnight not to mention degrade your brain to repeating ayuh at every opportunity.
I moved from Md to Fl a few yrs ago. I got a lesson in muzzleloader storage here. Just cleaning my muzzleloaders after shooting them wasn't enough to keep surface rust from appearing while they were sittin in my closet. You'll need to have a nice thin coating of gun oil on them & NO FINGERPRINTS - they will cause surface rust too. I've had plastic powder tubes sweat inside while on my bench, all the lube melt off my cast bullets while at my bench. Its a whole new world of shooting & gun care down here.

I moved from Md to Fl a few yrs ago. I got a lesson in muzzleloader storage here. Just cleaning my muzzleloaders after shooting them wasn't enough to keep surface rust from appearing while they were sittin in my closet. You'll need to have a nice thin coating of gun oil on them & NO FINGERPRINTS - they will cause surface rust too. I've had plastic powder tubes sweat inside while on my bench, all the lube melt off my cast bullets while at my bench. Its a whole new world of shooting & gun care down here.
Wipe them down with a thin coat of RIG, that is what cured my fingerprint rust issue in a very humid environment.

Not just Florida has humidity and rust issues. I have a friend in Maine who lives on an offshore island. I always wondered why he only wanted to buy SS guns, then I visited one summer. Because of the salt spray or mist which envelops the Island for weeks sometimes.
We visited one of his friends who is a “lobsterman”. In his trap shack, where he fixes traps, rigging etc, he had a Mossberg pump 12ga, and a Marlin 336. Both we practically rusted shut! Terrible waste of fine guns.

Back