• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

stop brass from tarnishing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To look right and seemingly correct many of us grey beards like patina on our brass. And until this year it’s what I did. Then I got to thinking.
The first guns were simple iron tubes with a tiller of some sort to hold it. But even some of these hand gonnes would be fitted with some fancy decoration.
The first civilian guns were very fancy hunting guns. Fine woods were often so decorated with ivory brass silver gold antler horn mother of Pearl that one could barely see the wood.
Most early military shoulder guns were iron mounted, but the eighteenth century rise of professional armies would see the rise of brass mountings.
They wanted the army to look bright from arms to uniforms.
Civilian guns for work a day, the trade guns and the guns sold to North American settlers were early on iron mounted. By the first decades of the eighteenth century we see a rise of brass mounted American arms, and most early rifles cane in brass up till the nineteenth century.
Barrels could be bright, or blued, and browning was an off and on thing for years, becoming more popular on American guns in the nineteenth century..
The oft told tail of not wanting shinny brass in the woods doesn’t ring true for me. Even in a well let pasture catching a gleam off of brass in gun sized pieces is real rare and colorful clothing was sold on the frontier
Should you have got a brand new gun with a white barrel how would you have treated it back in the day.
Why was there the switch to brass parts in the eighteenth century?
I few months ago I buffed up my brass on my smooth rifle to match its in the white barrel.
It looks newbi to me, I like old looking tarnish. However they didn’t have old guns then.
And style is style

You make a fine argument Tenn.

Should you have got a brand new gun with a white barrel how would you have treated it back in the day.
Why was there the switch to brass parts in the eighteenth century?

I would have used my gun, or it would have spent most of it's time above the mantle. Soldiers and fancy pants spent far more time cleaning, polishing and looking spiffy than they ever did using their guns.
The choice of materials was the result availability, taxes, laws, imports and such. Brass with it's lower melting point was also easier for the colonial gunsmith to melt and cast, about a 1000 degrees F easier.

That’s all true. But brass was being used so heavIly in Europe. Not just for fine guns but cheap export guns.
And fine guns wouldn’t go iron mounts in general at that time.
Later in the south iron became predominate, but silver would also become common during the federal age. Silver was not just on ‘fine guns’ but oft on working pieces.
I think sometime we see something in style and after the fact we try to explain it.
I know brass was cheaper and easier to work, but I wonder how much style counted.

I personally like the naturally aged appearance of brass. My 30-40 year old rifles with brass components seemed to stabilize to a consistent ,and nicely dulled patina that has changed very little, to none with routine shooting, clean-up, and wipe-downs. Over time, I have not seen any material metal loss, or corrosion that can be observed with carbon-steel components when left untreated.

Polished mine down to 3000 grit, then used Basso. One a year in the fall, I buff it all up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seem to me that when I use WD-40 it tends to tarnish the brass, so the type of cleaning or preserving oil you use may make a difference. I like the older look so I just wipe the brass with a soft cloth. steg49

I have had old original guns that have had VARNISH on the brass. it was not tarnished.

I like my brass clean, but I don't over-do it.

I do not use abrasive cleaners (rotten stone, Brasso, etc) on finished brass.

Ballistol on a dry cloth cleans dirty brass without damaging it (no abrasives) AND it keeps the brass from tarnishing.

"To me, tarnished brass is a sign of neglect. In days long past, brass hardware, lanterns, bells, etc, would have been kept polished. Collectors today call it patina, but it's the beginning of rot."

Those who like patina, I often wonder if they brush their teeth!

I wonder if they brush their tooth! :D 😱:)

Keep brass from tarnishing? Why on earth would one do that? :dunno:

The OP asked:

"How can I keep the brass butt plate,patch box, etc. from tarnishing?"

How come so many people interject their personal preferences of theirs for their rifles when all he OP wants is what he wants?

The OP has 4 posts, and people wonder why new folks leave this place.

Brasso and a soft cotton cloth, old diapers if you can get one is perfect, Old Marine corps trick is to take a block of jewelers rouge and rub it on coarse sand paper then add the dust to the brasso. If you really want to get fancy have the brass gold plated then a quick wipe down with a clean cotton cloth is all you need, this was a trick for dress blues and all the brass that went on them such as buttons, collar emblems and waist plate. If you notice residue from the brasso use lighter fluid and a very soft tooth brush to get it out of the little crevices then wipe with your cloth. Spent a lot of time polishing brass perhaps that is why I like iron mounted rifles.

The OP asked:

"How can I keep the brass butt plate,patch box, etc. from tarnishing?"

How come so many people interject their personal preferences of theirs, for their rifles, when all the OP asked is a simple question?

The OP has 4 posts, and people wonder why new folks leave this place. This is going on 2 pages and he has not been back!!!!!!

Wonder why, read Intosomthin's response.
Agreed. He has been insulted along the way, too.

Back