• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

STOLEN CANNON!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SquirrelsaurusR

45 Cal.
Reaction score
richard helwig <[email protected]> wrote:
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 12:44:51

Subject: EXODUS HAS BEEN STOLEN

Dear Friends,

ATTENTION!!! PLEASE PASS THIS ON TO ANYONE WHO MIGHT
BE ABLE TO HELP.

This morning, March 26, I made a very bad discovery.
MY CANNON (Exodus) HAS BEEN STOLEN. As those of you who are a part of the reenacting community know, Exodus is a full size 12 lb. Mountain Howitzer. It has a Cast Iron Dixie/Hern Barrel with a 2 1/4 inch bore with a 1/4 in steel sleeve. The iron work on the carriage is hand forged. The tongue is oak with a splice approximately a foot from the end.

Exodus has 42" wagon wheels which have had several spokes repaired. Also, if you scrape the green paint off of the older parts of the spokes there is red paint underneath. There is a plaque on the front (No. 1) side of the axle that reads "Exodus" Built by Dick and Rick Helwig 1991.

I have filed a report with the Delaware County Ohio Sheriff Department. If you hear of anyone who has recently gotten a "new" cannon or anyone trying to sell Exodus please contact me at this email address:

[email protected] or at (740) 965-5090,
or the Delaware County Sheriff Department
at (740) 368-1897. The case number is 01-05-005765.

Those of you who have been around the 5th OLA know how much Exodus meant to me. I would appreciate any help you can give.

I remain your most humble and obedient servant,
Sgt. Rick Helwig
Gunner/Artificer
5th Ohio Light Artillery

IM in ohio near dayton. WE have some big gun shows here I will keep an eye out for it.

If they ever find the creeps that did it, I have an idea as to where you can find some small round objects to use in making up a grapeshot load.

I did a copy and paste of the message and sent it to 20 people on my personal mailing list. If everyone would do the same there would perhaps be a few thousand more sets of eyes out there looking. Even folks who aren't into any kind of guns might notice a cannon.

Tinderbox

I sent a copy of your post over to my friends in the SAR.
They sometimes hire Cannoneers for salutes at their events.
Possible that they might hear of something.

Back