• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stocks: Same wood, different looks.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Own some Pedersolis and, not liking the (maybe practical) polyurethane finish, stripped it off chemically followed up by light sanding and acetone. All were redone with BLO with initial coats and final coat being a BLO/Mineral Spirit mix. Highly recommend the mix at least initially.
Now when I say “same wood” I get there are a couple of dozen variables in walnut wood looks, texture, etc, etc, but interesting how the “same wood” takes oil differently - which is one of the charms of oil and wood.
Anyway very happy with the results.

Attachments

• 717C4042-FFEB-4647-8C5B-18F7F72D3A91.jpeg
    717C4042-FFEB-4647-8C5B-18F7F72D3A91.jpeg
    131.7 KB · Views: 2
I’ve done a bit more work (on these) and besides the BLO/Mineral Spirit mix I was going straight BLO between coats just because straight is what I have always done previously. The stocks above are my first use of the “mix.”
Anyway, if anyone cares, comparing the two both in application, wipedown, cleanup, and it seems(?) looks I think the mix is the way to go on all coats.
Tried to add this above but, oddly, couldn’t find the Edit button.

The edit button is in your new post on the bottom, I think on the left, but only for a limited time then the button goes away. Hope this helps.

Back