• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stocking an original double

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizzly Adams

50 Cal.
Reaction score
A friend has the parts to an original 20ga percussion double, but it needs to be stocked. He is wanting me to stock it. He is a pretty seasoned builder, but I have not built a double, and to my knowledge, neither has he, though he will be working with me on it. What to look out for, and can anybody shed some light on building one?

Thank you in advance.

You have a daunting task ahead of you :hmm:. Basically the same steps as in building a muzzle loader from a plank times two. I use to stock modern shotguns way back in the 70's-80's and if you start from a block of wood you have a LOT of inlaying & fitting to do of the parts. First I HIGHLY recommend you purchase Bill Brockway's book "Recreating the Double Barrel Muzzleloading Shotgun". In it he explains all the steps to accomplish the building of a SXS muzzleloader which is just what you want to do. It will be the best investment you can make for this endeavor :v . Good luck and take your time :thumbsup: .

A double has very little wood left between the locks so remove wood VERY SLOWLY so you don't take too much off In the lock area. :idunno:

I think you`ll do well, i`ve seen some of your work. just go one step at a time, like anything else. only daunting thing i can see is you get to do everything twice, which is not really daunting if you enjoy the work. and remember, its just wood. there is another piece if you screw it up.
egg

Thank you all for your input. I was aware that this was going to be a daunting undertaking, but I feel that, with enough time and research, I may just be able to pull it off.

Latest posts

Back