• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

stock refinishing question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robert reed

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have refinished several stocks in beech and black walnut. I did a walnut with tru oil and it came out great. I've had such good results on beech using BLO and paste wax that I refinished a walnut stock the same way. It seems to be very prone to nicks and dings.

Question is : does walnut need a hard coat or is it just this piece of wood?
Thanks,
Robert

Not necessarily "hard" as it may crack or chip, but some sort of sealer is needed.

To the best of my knowledge there is no good way to make the surface of walnut "harder".

The sealers I've used really didn't do much if anything to "harden the surface".

I suppose you could mix up some sort of epoxy and coat the stock but that really wouldn't make the surface much harder and it would look like scat.
In other words, don't do that.

Sometimes wiping a scratch with a thin layer of linseed oil will blend it into the adjacent finish making it pretty much vanish.

As for dings they could be removed by steaming but you would have to remove the finish down to the bare wood before doing it. Then you would have to refinish the area and unless your a professional wood finisher the area would always look a little "different".

My advice is unless you want to totally refinish the stock it is best to just try to cover the scratches and to live with the dents.

Those dents are the history of the gun for future generations to ponder. :)

Unless you are refinishing to hang it on the wall, pretty much untouched, bangs/dents and dings are just part of the "battle scars" a gun collects through use.

So just go with it.

Like when you lean your rifle against a tree, it slides and bounces off a rock leaving a noticeable scratch.

By the time I have got it home the whole story is set in stone - ya, there was this bear - a big mother - that's how the scratch got there, I swear :rotf:

+1 ... what that last fella said...

no - really - Graham is right ... unless it's going to hang on the wall, it's going to collect some dings ... if that's too much to cope with, keep it on the wall.

one guy's opinion: free and doubtless well worth the cost!

make good smoke!

This is a redone renegade from parts. It looks good on the wall now but it has only been to the range once. It will be my dedicated deer rifle next season so it won't be so pretty this time next year.

Have never used it on walnut, but MinWax Wood Hardener has worked for me on other woods, including maple. Then there is the question of whether it would fill the grain. Maybe it could be sanded in to both harden and fill. Maybe an interesting experiment.

Back