• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Stock ID

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought this stock with barrel yesterday the price was reasonable enough and it appears to be a kit gun of some sort. Most of the inletting is finished but I was hoping one of you might be able to tell what company it's made by. It didn't come with any furniture so it would be helpful in ordering pre-fitted lock plate, butt plate, and cap box.
Thanks

Attachments

• pix018536215.jpg
    pix018536215.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 81
  • pix188535640.jpg
    pix188535640.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 83
  • pix276919987.jpg
    pix276919987.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 93
  • pix567588346.jpg
    pix567588346.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 84
  • pix602021893.jpg
    pix602021893.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 80
I saw that listing as well. No ID on the mfr, but I have seen a completed rifle online - it also was not identified. I wrote the seller of the completed rifle but no reply. Best of luck on the build.
I figured for 180 bucks for the stock and barrel blank it wasn't too bad. Even if I can't find out who made the stock to buy pre-fitted parts I can make them myself. I already have a lock sitting in a drawer waiting to be used.

Man that is one weird looking left side plate. If it were mine, I'd make a tracing of the inlet and design something else, (when I figured out the school the rest of the design fits in to) as long as it covers up what's already done.

Agreed, and I've looked at every place that sells side plates and saw nothing even close. I have enough brass plate to cut one to fit so that may be the best option. I've seen some patch boxes that are pretty close that I think I can make work.
A build based on what I got from the seller may be a bit tricky but what the heck I like a got challenge.

It is much easier to make an inlet to fit a part than it is to make a part to fit an existing inlet.

The inlet for the PB looks perfectly symmetrical and very clean. Much better that it likely would have been if the PB were a hand made custom one. I would try to find an "out of the box" PB and see if it fits.

If it's a wee bit on the smallish side maybe you can peen it some to get yourself some more width. (Make sure your hammer hits the bottom though!)

If you have to fill it with stuff like epoxy or 2-part epoxy wood that will show somewhat and leave something of a blackened outline. Since brass tarnishes at the edges anyway it will be somewhat concealed, but it's still better not to use fillers unless you absolutely have to.

It is much easier to make an inlet to fit a part than it is to make a part to fit an existing inlet.

The inlet for the PB looks perfectly symmetrical and very clean. Much better that it likely would have been if the PB were a hand made custom one. I would try to find an "out of the box" PB and see if it fits.

If it's a wee bit on the smallish side maybe you can peen it some to get yourself some more width. (Make sure your hammer hits the bottom though!)

If you have to fill it with stuff like epoxy or 2-part epoxy wood that will show somewhat and leave something of a blackened outline. Since brass tarnishes at the edges anyway it will be somewhat concealed, but it's still better not to use fillers unless you absolutely have to.
For some people your thinking might be correct, but I'm a much better metal worker then I'm with wood. for me the cutting of a piece of metal is much easer and much less daunting then re-inletting the side plate.

Last edited:
Looks like you have some form of a Hopkins & Allen.
Saw a post from member kje54 on a rifle he is reworking, and sparked my memeory of your thread. His rifle looks a lot like your rifle.
His rifle is a Hopkins & Allen. The side-plate looks to be a perfect match.

And, a picture on a H&A Underhammer patch-box look to be a match as well.

1616690787255.png

Saw a post from member kje54 on a rifle he is reworking, and sparked my memeory of your thread. His rifle looks a lot like your rifle.

View attachment 70297
That is the closest I've seen Thanks. I just got the stock and barrel yesterday from the seller and I'm in the process of removing the pin escutcheons whoever started this build glued them in place along with the nose cap. I've been soaking them in acetone to loosen the glue. I think the barrel is a green mountain from the look of it and from the 8 lands and grooves. Whoever started this didn't give much thought to how it would be finished because they drilled and tapped the touch hole at 3/8-16 and I haven't found anyone making a liner that size so I'll have to make one myself. As soon as I get the glue loose I'll post up a few more photos.

That is the closest I've seen Thanks. I just got the stock and barrel yesterday from the seller and I'm in the process of removing the pin escutcheons whoever started this build glued them in place along with the nose cap. I've been soaking them in acetone to loosen the glue. I think the barrel is a green mountain from the look of it and from the 8 lands and grooves. Whoever started this didn't give much thought to how it would be finished because they drilled and tapped the touch hole at 3/8-16 and I haven't found anyone making a liner that size so I'll have to make one myself. As soon as I get the glue loose I'll post up a few more photos.

WOW! Just WOW!

I'll be on the hunt to find all the parts I'll need to finish this rifle up. My wife has takin' a liking to this stock and wants me to do the furniture in German Silver I have this feeling this rifle won't be mine when it's finished.

View attachment 70297
His is an H&A but not sure which model but it's not the Minuteman, patch box is different.

I think that was the way they were made, glued and screwed....... Mine's the same. I am replacing the cheap, thin brass ferrules with ones from ToTW as well as the brass pins with steel ones. Just finished inletting for the ferrules. There's still a debate as to whether the stock is maple or Birch, I think they used birch, it's cheaper.

Last edited:
Back