• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Stock from one Rifle, Barrel from another

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mistress244

32 Cal
Reaction score
Need some help identifying and finding any info on a rifle/muzzleloader that was my father in laws. I think its a hawkens stock probably from a kit. I highly doubt the barrel goes to it lol Its Belgium. My father in law was an interesting man. I can totally picture him putting this creation together. Up till a week or two ago I had wooden handle pistol with a 22 barrel short barrel on it that he put together. He had some type of long barrel rifle that had a ham key for a trigger. I didnt recover that one from the property.
Anyways, any info, estimated value, if any, advice on leaving it as is if I was to sell it or selling the barrel and stock separately. Would it be worth replacing the missing parts? Let me know if any other info is needed.

I see no markings on the stock besides on the back of the Patch Box door reads IN or NI. The barrel has ELG and star in a oral. Specifically E then LG under the E and the star under the LG and the oral around it. Less than an inch under it theres a crown 👑 with letters under it. The first one i cant read it may even be a symbol best guess is C. Next to it is B. Don't see anything else. Don't know how to remove it from the stock. If i measured the barrel right its 27inch. Ramrod is 29inch. Butt to end of barrel 43inch. Butt to end of RamRod 45inch. I don't know why the zip tie is on it. That's all the info I have. Thank you for reading. Also thank you in advance for any help and not leaving any rude comments 😊
20220511_205934.jpg

Attachments

• 20220511_210537.jpg
    20220511_210537.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 20220511_210007.jpg
    20220511_210007.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 20220511_175751.jpg
    20220511_175751.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 82
  • 20220511_180051.jpg
    20220511_180051.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 20220511_200658.jpg
    20220511_200658.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 20220511_174811.jpg
    20220511_174811.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 16523214062622238451163708143435.jpg
    16523214062622238451163708143435.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 76
The stock. Is from an Italian Hawken and very similar to a Thompson-Center Hawken and may be salvagable but with the modification to the tang inlet probably not worth a lot. The barrel to my eye is junk. The zip tie is holding the barrel in the stock. The original barrel would have had a metal loop on the bottom where a brass wedge woulld go through the hole in the stock to hold it in place. It was designed this way to make the barrel removable for cleaning.

I concur with @bubba.50's assessment.

The grain in the buttstock is interesting, but the tang modifications subtract from the value of the stock.

The barrel appears to be round and smoothbored. Not much value that I see in the barrel. Yes, it is a Belgian barrel, but of dubious quality.

This would not be worth replacing the missing parts unless the parts were all stored away from the salvaged parts of a donor rifle that had been scrapped. Even then when done I doubt that the rifle would be worth $150 to $200.

The ‘IN’ on the patchbox cover is for ‘Investarm’ the Italian company that made the rifle. If you want to remove the barrel from the stock, cut the zip-tie and remove the phillips head screw at the tang.

So, she(?) joins Wednesday with an attractive pik for an avatar, gets welcomed by every salty dog on the forum, posts a couple pix, finds out daddy-in-law didn't leave her a goldmine then disappears? Hmmm. 🤔

On the wall in some restaurant? -- you know ... the kind that hangs broken and useless musical instruments on the wall? Or old and virtually disintegrated farm tools? I think there's definitely a market for stuff like that in the "decorating" trade.

Need some help identifying and finding any info on a rifle/muzzleloader that was my father in laws. I think its a hawkens stock probably from a kit. I highly doubt the barrel goes to it lol Its Belgium. My father in law was an interesting man. I can totally picture him putting this creation together. Up till a week or two ago I had wooden handle pistol with a 22 barrel short barrel on it that he put together. He had some type of long barrel rifle that had a ham key for a trigger. I didnt recover that one from the property.
Anyways, any info, estimated value, if any, advice on leaving it as is if I was to sell it or selling the barrel and stock separately. Would it be worth replacing the missing parts? Let me know if any other info is needed.

I see no markings on the stock besides on the back of the Patch Box door reads IN or NI. The barrel has ELG and star in a oral. Specifically E then LG under the E and the star under the LG and the oral around it. Less than an inch under it theres a crown 👑 with letters under it. The first one i cant read it may even be a symbol best guess is C. Next to it is B. Don't see anything else. Don't know how to remove it from the stock. If i measured the barrel right its 27inch. Ramrod is 29inch. Butt to end of barrel 43inch. Butt to end of RamRod 45inch. I don't know why the zip tie is on it. That's all the info I have. Thank you for reading. Also thank you in advance for any help and not leaving any rude comments 😊 View attachment 138992
The item below the rifle might add to the value depending on whether it's a garter belt or a ladies' evening possibles bag. 🙂

She should show us anything else she has from the Estate. The guy was a dabbler but still
he was one of us at heart. I value it as $125 bucks for a project set aside. Here and there
you could fix it up piece by piece and have a shooter for the Cabin.

Back