• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Stock and other parts for older CVA Kentucky Long Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1942farmall

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Hi guys,
New to the forum and just getting back into muzzleloaders. Anxious to shoot my TC .54 Hawken after being idle for 30+ years.
I inherited a few older CVA rifles from my late father-in-law.
One being a .54 Mountain Rifle.
Another being .45 Kentucky Long Rifle.
He completely disassembled these two and a few others and tossed it all in a box. Quite a sh*t show.
I've since gathered or replaced everything for the Mountain Rifle and am getting ready to rebuild and refinish it.
The Kentucky stock is pretty messed up.
I may be able to fix it but am curious if anybody has ever ordered parts from Traditions. They look identical.
I've been getting other parts from Deer Creek. They only have the rear stock.
The other challenge is he removed the drums from the barrels along with the breech plugs.
I have everything but the Kentucky drum.
Any idea on thread size so I can call Track of the Wolf?
Thanks for any help.

Farmall, It is to bad Deer Creek could not help you. I could be way of base here, but I think the drum on your CVA mountain should be the same drum needed for your CVA Kentucky. If you call ToW, they should know which one is needed. I have a CVA Kentucky rifle and a Dikar colonial style pistol and both drums look identical. A word of caution, CVA says not to remove the breech plug from their barrels. Putting the breech plug back in correctly to align with the drum can be a never ending nightmare. Whatever you decide, good luck and keep us posted.

It’s a 1/4x28 thread drum. I converted a CVA Kentucky from flint to cap back in the mid 80s. I recall ordering the drum from Dixie.

n.b.- you will be better off buying a drum without a nipple hole because it’s unknown if a pre-drilled nipple hole will index properly to the hammer.

Thanks Widows Son,
Looks like Track of the Wolf has quite a few including many undrilled.
I'm trying to figure out the thread in the side of barrel.
They appear to be the same in both rifles.
I assumed they would be metric.
The ones TOTW lists are all domestic thread.
Worst case I can machine one.
I have a lathe and end mill but was hoping to simply find one.

Thanks Widows Son,
Looks like Track of the Wolf has quite a few including many undrilled.
I'm trying to figure out the thread in the side of barrel.
They appear to be the same in both rifles.
I assumed they would be metric.
The ones TOTW lists are all domestic thread.
Geez, Friend,, look a little bit more; there is a page 2
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/809/2
drum-cva
drum-cva-n

I have been reading all the many messages here on this forum. Lots of great info. I've been away from Black powder shooting for 4 or 5 years,
so I need some help, please. I have a Traditions "Buckskinner" 50 caliber plains pistol. and I have never fired it, But I'm going to real soon.
How do you clean it after firing? Run a brass brush through it then some alcohol patches in and out. Then run a patch with Ballistol.
Do I need to take out the nipple to do all this? Or is there an easier way ?
IMG_0526.jpg

There are as many cleaning methods as shooters. Plain water works fine. It looks like your pistol has a hooked breech. If it does. Remove the nipple and the barrel. Put the breech end in a container of water and pump water through it with a patch on a jag. Some people use brushes, but they can get stuck with no way to push them through. Then use dry patches and maybe alcohol if you want. Finish with Balistol.

Back