• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stitch holes in tanned hide

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eterry

70 Cal.
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Between Red River Station and Doans Crossing, Tx.
Finally decided to try tanning a deer hide. A small doe I took this weekend.
Fleshing the hide I got a few small holes in the hide.
When should I try to stitch the holes?
Now, or after I finish fleshing? Im guessing after salting it's too late.

Thanks.

Btw, I'm using a salt/alum mix, neatsfoot for lube.

I did a fair amount of hide tanning as a teenager...if i remember correctly, i stitched a hole once with dental floss very thorougjly before i tanned it. I know it worked out well...my thoughts were, on these hides, i dont care how good you are, the skin will never be as soft and pliable as it is, now, before it's tanned...that is the time to close up the hole...

Tenngun said that you can fix the holes after you tan it.
If you were to use brain tan, repair the holes before tanning.
If that's not what he meant, I'll go sit down.
That’s what I was saying. Brain tan depends on stretching as it dries. So a hole would just get bagger
On a salt alum tan you don’t need to close the hole first.

If you are intending to make any kind of garment with leather don't stitch the hole before tanning.
For a truly authentic look patch the hole after it's tanned by placing a piece of the same leather behind the hole and lacing it in place with a leather strip of the same leather.

Back