• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Sterling Silver Mounted Scabbard

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LRB

75 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Finally finished it. Throat and Chape/drag are all sterling silver. Leather is 6/7oz vege tan, blacked with vinegaroon, and sewn with 6 cord linen thread. This scabbard was fitted to the sword shown and made by Kyle Willyard and Jared Secrest. The drag/chape is of two pieces joined by silver braze and glued in place. The throat has a one piece collar joined in back by a silver braze. The top cap was opened to the blade shape and joined on with a 600° cadmium solder. The locket/frog button is a five piece affair being a washer base, tube shaft, and 8ga silver button, silver brazed together and to the throat body. The thick walled tube shaft has a tight fitted brass rod inside with a 1/16" steel pin through the center and into the button and throat. Photos are not great. Too hard to balance light and shadow with the silver. Hope you enjoy a look.

What no picture with it in the scabbard? There was some fine work put into those! :hatsoff:
I guess your replacing your electric hedge trimmer this year? It's going to be a heck more fun using that on the hedges. :rotf:

Looking more at the pictures isn't the button suppose to be on the other side, with the seam?

should I say I know absolutely nothing about swords and scabbards. would have guess the Button goes towards the body but he could be left handed.

Will say it is a work of art for sure, and my hat is off to the men that put that together.

Button goes on front. It is intended to lock into a leather frog. Here's a pic. This one is a hook rather than a button. look right below the shell guard.

Well I glad that wasn't a oops. I've seen guys misspell there own name at times. You do some fine work, it's pleasing to even my untrained eyes. And you know the old saying Art is in the eye of the beholder. The lines on both those swords are very nice.

as always, sir, tremendous work

:hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

(you're a bit hard on yourself vis-à-vis the photo deal, by the way ... you may want to make yourself a diffuser ... I used bed sheets or unbleached muslin, depending on color balance, stretched across schedule 40 PVC pipe ... this works very well and if you build it correctly, the whole deal can be disassembled and rolled up into a compact package)

once again, thanks for the post!

Back