• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

steer me to a pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most large cavalry flint pistols were smoothbored and 60 caliber or more. What kind of shooting do you have in mind?

By cavalry if you mean a military issue then it would be that. Some were made in the government armories and some were acquired through contract with makers like Simeon North, etc. I think Dixie Gun Works sells some replicas.
Search net under Simeon North Pistols for images.

Go to Dixie Gunworks website. In the search function type in Flint Pistols. 22 Pistols will show up. The original Horse pistols are very expensive. However if you can deal with a 50 caliber flint they have one for $325

CO Elkeater said:
Many, would you have any reservations of buying a Pedersoli Kentucky pistol?

Cannot speak for Many, but I have a pair of Pedersoli Kentucky pistols, percussion and flintlock. Pedersoli makes some of the best pistols that there is.

I took them to my pistol smith and had him smooth up the locks and do a trigger job on them as the trigger pull was more than what I wanted.

They have been consistent winners in line matches.

The fit and finish on them is excellent, nice pistols.

You did not say what you wanted to do with the pistol, they come in 45, 50 and 54. I bought 45's and like them for what I do with them.

If you go to the Pedersoli website and do a search for stocking dealers there are some good sales going on now.

Cannot answer that, folks hands are all different.

I bought the Pedersoli Kentucky's from Flintlock's Etc.

After talking with lots of folks I upgraded to the Pedersoli Charles Moore's since I could shoot them in the Kentucky Agg and they could be back ups to my other percussion and flintlocks pistols.

After a day of shooting the Charles Moore's they become a bit barrel heavy compared to the Kentucky's. Where the Charles Moore's really shine is the set trigger, but then you may need to get the "Gold" card out when you order.

I keep lusting after a Pedersoli Navy Mall, I like the look of the fake maple stock and the price is not bad.

Some folks want to hunt with a BP pistol, I do not, I am a line shooter with BP pistols.

Line shooters are down sizing in caliber size. It is not so much as a cost savings, spend $1,000 on something and worry about pennies on powder. Most folks are going to .36 because they are getting older and arthritis is getting into their wrists and pain hurts.

Buy what you want and enjoy.

Dixie just took my money for a Pedersoli Kentucky 54 flint pistol and two 1/2" flints. The kind lady said it will take a week to get here.

Thanks for the help fellas.

Yeah, Pedersoli are expensive, but are worth the money. I have an old Kentucky in .44 (NOT 45) and it is top shelf. It IS a pain in the neck to find .430 balls-I need to buy a mold.

I also will testify to the quality of the pedersoli ky pistol. I have one in percussion 45, I have placed in tournaments with it. I also enjoy non-formal target practice with it. I am saving up for a flint version to go with my pedersoli Pennsylvania flintlock 45.

I,m envious my capper pistol is .58 smoothy CVA build kit. Contemplating re bore to ,62 so se of 2OGA CUPS can be used. To extend - tighten shot pattern for game for-ageing.

Five hours from your first post, and you had your gun ordered! Good on ye!

Did you get the walnut, or the maple stock? Either way, it's a beauty.

We'll want range reports and pictures.

Got it, I think its walnut. I like the grip and the trigger pull. It has a flint wrapped in lead in the cock, sparks fly.

Need to disassemble and clean. Appears to be all machine screws involved, no wood screws or pins in cleaning process.

Good looking gun but for one lock screw slot is abused. Very fixable.

Thank you to my ML team for steering me to it. :)

Back